Za’id Adbus Samad was arrested at this Kuraby home on Saturday. Picture: Liam Kidston
Za’id Adbus Samad was arrested at this Kuraby home on Saturday. Picture: Liam Kidston

No bail as man faces terror charges

THE nephew of a murdered restaurateur has faced court on terrorism charges.

Za'id Abdus Samad was refused bail over allegations he planned to fight in Syria and had recruited children to join him between late 2016 and early 2017, but never left Australia.

The 21-year-old was arrested at a Didcot St home at Kuraby, south of Brisbane, on Saturday and faced Brisbane Magistrates Court today.

He has been charged with five counts of preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities (preparatory acts), two counts of recruiting persons to join organisations engaged in hostile activities against foreign Governments (both juveniles), and seven counts of preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities (preparatory acts).

The maximum penalty for the preparation for a foreign incursion offence is life imprisonment, and for recruitment for foreign incursion offences is 25 years.

The allegations revolve around a claim of a plan to travel to Syria via Turkey.

In an application for bail defence barrister Ruth O'Gorman said her client had no criminal history, lived with his family and had not tried to leave the country during the period of the alleged offences.

She said there was a lack of evidence he tried to leave Australia at any time and had travelled to India with his father in 2015 and 2017 for a wedding and a funeral.

Despite being described as an "organiser" of a gang she said the allegations appeared to revolve around him and two teenagers.

Ms O'Gorman said police found handwritten notes in his bedroom but her client had said they were "mostly fact", many were dated and were words of others from the Koran or other teachings.

Abdus Samad is the nephew of murder victim Abdul Basith Mohammed (pictured), who owned a restaurant in Kuraby. Picture: Supplied.
Abdus Samad is the nephew of murder victim Abdul Basith Mohammed (pictured), who owned a restaurant in Kuraby. Picture: Supplied.

She said Abdus Samad was willing to have "very onerous" bail conditions which included surrendering his passport, abiding by a curfew and not contacting the two youths.

She said he would not attend the Kuraby mosque or use the internet unless he was studying.

Contact with the youths had been "sporadic", she said.

The court heard he was born in Logan, had six older siblings and had also been home schooled.

The Commonwealth had argued there would need to be "exceptional circumstances" for Abdus Samad to be released on bail.

He was refused bail after the application today.

Magistrate Christine Roney said the material before the court in relation to Abdus Samad indicated a desire to "return and not come back".

Abdus Samad is the nephew of murder victim Abdul Basith Mohammed who owned a restaurant in Kuraby.

He was repeatedly stabbed after being lured from his house in St George St, Kuraby, in Brisbane's south, when power was cut just after midnight on October 25 last year.

His killer remains on the loose, with police offering a $250,000 reward for information.

The Courier-Mail revealed last month that there were issues between Mr Basith and relatives after he took his brother's stepdaughter as his bride, despite already being married.

Mr Basith's intertwined family life and business dealings where he owed debts are understood to have added a layer of ­complexity to the case for ­investigators.

The matter has been adjourned to August 3.



Bradken to shut down Ipswich foundry, 180 jobs impacted

premium_icon Bradken to shut down Ipswich foundry, 180 jobs impacted

Manufacturing company Bradken has announced it will wind down its Ipswich foundry...

Drunk driver refuses RBT, fears catching virus

premium_icon Drunk driver refuses RBT, fears catching virus

A Lockyer man refused to co-operate with police after he was pulled over for a...

Don't miss out on local news: $1 a week for first 12 weeks

premium_icon Don't miss out on local news: $1 a week for first 12 weeks

Deal gives you access to local, regional and metro News sites