What not to feed your dog this Christmas and why
IT'S the most wonderful time of year filled with fruit mince pies, Christmas cake and baked chicken.
Those foods might be great for people but the festive season's favourites shouldn't be shared with the family pets; Christmas trimmings can be toxic for dogs.
As the feasting approaches, the RSPCA has issued a warning onion, chocolate, some fruits and coffee products should not be given to dogs.
They can be toxic to their kidneys which means fruit mince pies, Christmas cake and pudding are off the menu.
Don't feed your dog:
- onions, onion powder, garlic
- coffee or caffeine products
- mouldy or spoiled foods or compost
- bread dough, yeast dough
- grapes, raisins, sultanas (including in Christmas cakes etc)
- currants, nuts including macadamia nuts, fruit stones (pits) e.g. mango seeds, apricot stones, avocado stones; fruit seeds, corncobs
- green unripe tomatoes, mushrooms
- cooked bones; small pieces of raw bone, fatty trimmings/ fatty foods, salt
- Xylitol (sugar substitute found in some products such as some types of sugarfree chewing gum, lollies, baking goods, toothpaste)
According to the RSPCA, pork and ham can also cause intense pain, pancreatitis and shock.
Non-edible food items like baubles, tinsel and ham bags should not be left lying about or in reach of curious pups.
Every dog is different so pet owners should consult their vet for specific dietary requirements.