'Not out of the woods': Almost 1000 potentially exposed

UPDATE:

Almost 1000 people on the Sunshine Coast have alerted health authorities that they have potentially been exposed to a Melbourne couple infectious with Covid-19.

Queensland chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young said 959 people on the Coast had voluntarily come forward saying they may have been in contact with the couple.

The couple visited several high-profile cafes and shopping centres across a three-day period earlier this week before testing positive to the virus.

Dr Young confirmed there were 316 close contacts of the Melbourne couple and 41 people had returned negative tests.

She said the other close contacts were all in home isolation awaiting test results.

Dr Young and Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said more than 900 people on the Sunshine Coast had come forward to get the Covid-19 jab.

"The people on the Sunshine Coast have been brilliant in how they've responded," Dr Young said.

Ms D'Ath also announced a new temporary walk-in vaccination centre would be trialled at the Caloundra Sports Centre until June 23.

"All the tests so far have been negative, but we are not out of the woods," Ms D'Ath said.

Ms D'Ath said she had been informed that there were other Victorians who managed to come into Queensland without the correct exemptions.

"I've been advised this morning by the Deputy Police Commissioner that there are other people coming across our border from Victoria who are driving up through New South Wales, crossing our border from Victoria who do not have the exemptions or travel declarations to do so," Ms D'Ath said.

"We will be making sure that you are found. This is an offence. You cannot come into this state if you are from a hotspot and put our state at risk. And we will make sure that you will face the consequences if you do that."

Queensland Police Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski confirmed five other people have been identified as failing to comply with directions coming into Queensland, two in the Darling Downs, one in Dalby and two in the Wide Bay district.

All five people who entered Queensland without border passes were sent to hotel quarantine and returned negative test results.

There have been 3343 vehicles randomly intercepted as they came through checkpoints since May 28.

Mr Gollschewski said the police investigation into the Melbourne couple was progressing.

He said police were yet to interview the couple about any possible offences but expected to in the next few days.

"We have not yet interviewed them in terms of any offences and we do not plan to do so until we are advised by Health it is safe to do so," he said.

He said interviews were expected to happen within the next week.

EARLIER:

Queensland has recorded no new cases of Covid-19 overnight, as the state continues to reel from revelations two people who left Melbourne's lockdown later tested positive for the virus in Queensland.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk this morning said there had been 11,348 vaccines administered in Queensland in the past 24 hours.

Health Minister Yvette D'Ath and the state Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young are due to give a more thorough update at 10.30am.

WATCH THE PRESS CONFERENCE LIVE IN THE MEDIA PLAYER ABOVE

Police are still waiting until it is considered safe to interview the infected couple, who remain in isolation in Sunshine Coast University Hospital.

The duo face prosecution in three states, and possible jail time, over skipping Melbourne's lockdown.

Police are reviewing whether security needs to be strengthened at the border, the Premier said.

"Honestly everyone needs to do the right thing," she said.

"There was a lockdown on in Melbourne, they shouldn't have left Victoria, and it just puts people at risk.

"I know there's an investigation into that."

When greater Melbourne is removed as a hotspot will depend on the chief health officer's advice, Ms Palaszczuk said.

Originally published as WATCH LIVE: No new cases as Qld considers tightening border security



Personal demons exorcised in new production

Premium Content Personal demons exorcised in new production

Two new plays by Ipswich’s Young Theatricals will feature at the Incinerator...

Your five-minute guide to the QLD Budget

Premium Content Your five-minute guide to the QLD Budget

Here are the highlights and key numbers