WARNING: Damaging winds, hail and rain likely for Ipswich
UPDATE 5PM: The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning people in parts of Ipswich, Logan, Scenic Rim, Southern Downs, Western Downs, South Burnett, Toowoomba, Lockyer Valley and Brisbane City areas.
These storms were detected on the weather radar near Warwick, the area northwest of Warwick, the area north of Warwick, Allora, Mt Mowbullan, Bell and Amberley.
They are moving towards the east to northeast and are forecast to affect Ipswich, the area southeast of Warwick, the area east of Warwick, the area northeast of Warwick, Redbank Plains and Cooyar by 5:35 pm and Toowoomba, the area south of Toowoomba, the area south of Kingaroy, the area west of Kingaroy, the area northwest of Kingaroy and Yarraman by 6:05 pm.
Damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
- 49mm has fallen in the 30 minutes to 5:00pm at Bell and Amberley
- 62mm has fallen in the 30 minutes to 3:40pm at McGarrigal
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.