Sport

Warne will sit out Thunder clash after copping match ban

MELBOURNE Stars skipper Shane Warne will watch tonight's do-or-die final BBL qualifying clash against the Sydney Thunder from the stands after deciding not to appeal a one-match ban handed out after Sunday night's explosive match against the Renegades.

Warne was fined a total of $4500 after being found guilty of three charges - $1000 for using obscene language, $500 for dissent toward an umpire and $3000 for "engaging in inappropriate and deliberate physical contact" by grabbing the shirt of Marlon Samuels.

Warne was found not guilty of deliberately throwing the ball at Samuels in a dangerous manner.

The West Indian was also hit with two charges from the match, but his hearing was postponed after he suffered facial injuries after being struck by a ball from Stars quick Lasith Malinga.

Speaking after the hearing at Cricket Australia headquarters yesterday, Warne said he understood the need to protect the image of the game, but felt he had been hard done by.

"I'm disappointed in some of my actions, but also disappointed with the severity of the penalty," the 43-year-old said.

"I think that's pretty harsh."

Warne's actions were in response to Samuels having obstructed David Hussey while he was batting in the Stars innings.

Shortly after the players exchanged words, Warne hit Samuels on the arm with an underarm throw, the West Indian responding by hurling his bat in Warne's direction.

It was the third incident involving Samuels during the series. He was previously accused of chucking by Brisbane Heat coach Darren Lehmann and was involved in a verbal stoush with Adelaide Strikers coach Darren Berry.

Renegades coach Simon Helmot yesterday said he was okay with some verbal sparring as long as it didn't step over the line of fair play.

"He (Marlon) is human, he has feelings. It can be tough when you're being continually shot at," Helmot said.

"T20 is about entertainment and having fun, but we've got to make sure we don't go over the line."

Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said he believed the altercation had been good for the promotion of the BBL competition.

"To be honest I thought it looked like two teams playing in front of a very big crowd in a highly charged environment with a lot at stake," Sutherland said.

"I'm not in anyway condoning breaches of our code of behaviour, but what we saw last night at the MCG was a huge crowd...and two teams which had a lot at stake, basically vying for top of the table in the Big Bash League."

Topics:  bbl big bash league cricket cricket australia melbourne stars shane warne sydney thunder t20



NEW BUSINESS: Top of Town's 'best kept secret'

NEW CAFE: Owners of Heisenberg Haus have opened a new coffee shop, serving out of a counter next to the restaurant. Pictured is barrister Eden Bruce.

There’s a new coffee kid on the block.

Thousands of drivers tested at Earth Frequency Festival

RBT: Random breath testing, Alexandra Headlands, Sunshine Coast. December 10, 2015.
Photo Patrick Woods / Sunshine Coast Daily

'Positive' police results from weekend event

'Let's stop apologising for Ipswich'

Ipswich Mall, 2016.

The sooner we stop indulging stereotypes, the sooner they'll stop

Local Partners

Paul Murray listens to regions

The man who can talk underwater is ready to listen and broadcast it back to the pollies.

Why Hollywood’s siding with Brad Pitt over Angelina Jolie

Jolie may have the kids, but Pitt has custody of Hollywood

Tensions high at pointy end of MKR's round two

Things are really heating up on My Kitchen Rules.

Games are being played around the My Kitchen Rules table

Jungle Jay sent packing from I'm a Celebrity

I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Here! contestant Jay Laga'aia with Keira.

BIG friendly giant Jay Laga'aia has been eliminated from I'm A Celeb

Carson Kressley brings 'camp' to I'm a Celebrity jungle

"I am not all Park Avenue and daffodils” ... Carson Kressley.

Meet the "campest” campmate to star on I'm a Celebrity.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi mystery already solved

FILE- This undated file photo provided by Disney shows Daisey Ridley as Rey, left, and John Boyega as Finn, in a scene from the film, \"Star Wars: The Force Awakens.\" Hasbro said it is changing its Star Wars Monopoly set after an 8-year-old girl became upset that Rey, the movie's female heroine, was not included as a figure along with Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. (Disney/Lucasfilm via AP, File) MANDATORY CREDIT

A key mystery surrounding the title of episode eight has been solved

Kids' game "full of f**king paedophiles" according to dad

A mortified dad has expressed serious concerns over an online game

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

Massive seaside development of 3200 lots

DESIRABLE LIFESTYLE: The masterplan for the proposed Elliott Heads Estate.

"There's nothing else left along the coastline of Queensland now"

Potential home buyers punished for doing the 'right thing'

Should I go to university or buy a house?

50 more high rise buildings planned for Brisbane CBD

Height limits have been scrapped for Brisbane CBD

800,000 more people expected to work in city over next 20 years

This new property trend is emerging in Ipswich

Darren Boettcher.

Property owners seizing new opportunity

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!