Waiting list for council’s lantana chemical subsidy program
MORE than 430 hectares of Lantana has been sprayed or removed by Somerset Council in a bid to stop the invasive pest weed.
At council’s meeting on Wednesday, director of planning Luke Hannan said almost 360 hectares of lantana had been mechanically removed and destroyed.
In addition, another 75 hectares had been chemically treated.
It comes as council offered a 100 per cent chemical subsidy to gain control of lantana throughout the Somerset region.
The rebate program is also designed to assist primary production and help stimulate the local economy.
However, a landholder just outside the program border has asked to be included in the program, for fear of the weed spreading, councillor Cheryl Gaedtke said.
“I’ve been approached by a resident who doesn’t qualify because they’re outside the catchment area.”
Cr Gaedtke said about 43 letters were sent out to residents, with about five not interested, and one to two on a waiting list.
Mr Hannah said the resident’s application would be taken to Seqwater by council for consideration.
The program is funded through the Australian Government’s Communities Combating Pest and Weed Impacts during Drought program.
Councillor Sean Choat said many members of the community had voice their praise about the effort council was making to control the weed.