VIDEO: Spearfisher jabs great white shark off Sunshine Coast
A MAN has jabbed a 4m great white shark while spearfishing off the Sunshine Coast.
Trevor Ketchion swam towards the shark and jabbed it in a bid to deter it as he and a friend were spearfishing on Sunday, October 5.
The encounter was captured on film and posted on social media.
In the description of the video posted on YouTube it says:
"It's a close encounter with a great white shark that could of ended very badly.
"Trevor Ketchion bravely swam within inches of a mammoth shark in a bid to deter it as he and a friend were spear fishing off Queensland's Sunshine Coast on Sunday.
"Footage of the eerie encounter shows the great white lurking metres below the surface as Mr Ketchion watched on from above.
"While an average person might be quick to swim away, Mr Ketchion swam directly towards the shark and jabbed it on its back with his spear gun.
"Being aggressive towards the shark is common practice among spear fishers as it can deter the animal from attacking because it fears the spear fisher as a predator.
"And in Mr Ketchion's case it worked.
"Footage shot by the spear fisher showed the great white slowly moving on from the area.
"Mr Ketchion posted the video online and on social media, much to the amazement of his followers."
WHAT'S HOT ONLINE TODAY
- Two charged with murder, rape in McCulkin case
- Teen, 15, left in critical condition after gang rape
- Australian commandos given go-ahead to fight in Iraq
- Man killed after being hit by a ute
- Who will be crowned the 2014 X Factor winner?
- Parents of Aussie children killed in MH17 talk of 'ongoing hell'
- Anti-ISIS fighters accused of executing 15-year-old boy
- Grandmother starves to death to escape anti-euthanasia laws
- Rogue roo attacks child