Business owner: 'My shop is absolutely covered in ash'
UPDATE: BATTERY World in West Ipswich is covered in ash after smoke filled the building overnight.
Owner Ruthie Farrar said a lithium-ion drill battery caused the smoke but there were no flames, so damage was minimal.
"A drill battery was accidentally was left on and was testing overnight," she said.
"The test failed caused a heat source and there was a lot of smoke.
"My shop is absolutely covered in ash."
Mrs Farrar said there was no structural damage.
"The smell is still here so we'll have a lot of cleaning to do today," she said.
"The alarm company saved it. They called us and when we got here it was just full on smoke.
"We lost a very expensive piece of testing equipment but we will be opening as normal today."
Paramedics responding to reports of a building fire on Brisbane Street, #West Ipswich.— Queensland Ambulance (@QldAmbulance) June 18, 2017
INITIAL: TWO fire crews were called to a West Ipswich business overnight after reports of a fire.
Emergency services were called at 9.39pm to the Brisbane St business and saw smoke when they arrived.
A QFES spokesperson said crews found a smouldering battery at the scene, which is believed to have caused the smoke.
"The situation was under control by 9.48pm," the spokesperson said.
"We found a battery that was smouldering, crews then ventilated the building and left 10.16pm."
Paramedics were also called to the scene however no one was injured.