Twelve-year wait for licence but she's still driving
A 29-YEAR-OLD mother of two might have to wait until she is 41 before she can legally hold a licence and drive a vehicle.
Last year Nadine Aroha Ruth Cross was disqualified from driving by the New South Wales courts until 2025, and unless she makes an application to remove the disqualification, she cannot drive.
But she is still getting behind the wheel. On January 14 this year, Cross was staying with a friend in Gympie and needed to get out of the house, the Mackay Magistrates Court heard.
Police were performing duties on Brisbane Rd and pulled over the car, in which Cross was identified as the driver, for a random breath test, prosecutor Errica Fforde said.
Cross told officers she was waiting for Queensland Transport to issue her a licence. However, checks revealed her New South Wales licence had been disqualified from September 26, 2012 until September 26, 2025, Ms Fforde said.
She had no emergent reason for driving. Cross pleaded guilty to disqualified driving. A previous high-range drink-driving offence had resulted in the period of disqualification, the court heard.
Defence solicitor Sheena Hayes, of Morton Lawyers, said significant circumstances had occurred in Cross's life, which sparked that particular offending and as such the recent disqualified driving charge. Cross was using alcohol to deal with certain events, Ms Hayes said.
She was hoping to return to work driving trucks in this region, Ms Hayes said.
Magistrate Ross Risson said, "It's going to be some time before you can legally drive." Cross was convicted and fined $900. She was disqualified for two years, which is separate to her current disqualification and so will not impact it.