Takeaway back in business
A POPULAR takeaway store at the Minden Crossroads will open its doors again after floods forced its closure last month, leaving behind a $100,000 damage bill.
It’s the second time in the building’s century-old history that flash flooding has wreaked havoc and forced its closure.
Barb’s Kitchen owner Barbara Frohloff was heartbroken when she visited the store following heavy rain on January 11 to discover it had been inundated with water.
“All that crossed my mind was ‘not again’,” Mrs Frohloff said.
In November 2008, the business was again reduced to ruins.
“It was closed for 10 months after that storm. We had no choice but to rebuild from scratch,” she said.
For the dedicated business owner, it was a hard to fathom a disaster like 2008 ever happening again, labelling the event as a “freak occurrence”.
But it did happen again, when on January 11 heavy rains forced through the business’s doors, destroying everything in its path.
“We had 1.32 metres of water in through the kitchen and 1.77 metres of water in the dining area and bathroom,” she said.
“It wasn’t quite as bad as last time but it still made a mess.
“We had to replace all the cooking appliances, petrol bowsers, all our stock, well everything really.”
The damage was so extensive the store was closed for a month, only reopening its doors on Wednesday.
“We never thought it would happen the first time let alone twice,” Mrs Frohloff said.
“In 1974 the floods never reached here so it’s hard to understand why we have had something like this happen to us twice in two years.
“My sister Heather and I have been out here every day since it happened, scrubbing the walls and removing everything and cleaning the shop from top to bottom.
“It’s been hard work but we weren’t going to let this beat us.”