Stories of a city on the market
LAND and buildings for sale or rent were plentiful in Ipswich in the 1860s.
Here are just a few of the public notices which advertised where and when such events would take place. They give an insight into our wonderful history.
The proclamation for the sale of land at Kholo, Bundamba, Purga, Laidley, Jeebropilly and Normanby was to take place at the Police Office Ipswich on January 13, 1864. The price was one pound per acre and areas ranged in size from 25 to 199 acres. A deed fee on the deed lots was charged at the following scale: Not exceeding 50 acres, one pound; above 50 acres and not exceeding 300 acres, one pound five shillings; above 300 and not exceeding 640 acres, one pound ten shillings.
In January 1866 Hindmarsh & Co received instructions to sell by private contract allotments at the back of St Mary's Catholic Church. These allotments were finely situated both for site and health and commanded an extensive view of the town. Terms were one-fourth cash and balance by promissory note at 4, 8 and 12 months.
At the cnr of the Terrace and Downs Streets, North Ipswich in 1866 there was a brick house containing 11 (eleven) rooms and kitchen, also a brick tank containing several thousand gallons of pure water. The house stood opposite the gate to the railway station and had previously been occupied by Mr G S Williams as the Royal Engineers Hotel.
"A certain fortune for an industrious man". This fortune related to the Booval Hotel (in full trade) Mr Charles Lee was selling the business by private contract of this convenient and commodious roadside inn, situated one and a half miles from Ipswich on the Brisbane Road and in the centre of the Booval. The hotel was a hardwood timber building containing seven rooms with detached kitchen, store room, dairy, five stalled stables with stockyard and milling bail, piggery, and garden and the whole of the property was enclosed by six foot fence. It was a time rented for 120 pounds per annum. Booval Hotel could become the "Cremorne" of Ipswich where pleasure seekers and persons coming in from the country could sojourn or take refreshments. It was in the centre of the township where the local population alone was sufficient for good support.
To be sold by private contract Vine Cottage situated in New York Limestone Hill. This house which is faithfully built of hardwood and pint chamfer boards with iron veranda all around and iron roof contains eight rooms. This property is situated overlooking North Ipswich, the Bremer River, the wharves and Railway Bridge and in hot weather it has the advantage of a cool sea breeze. For situation, health and comfort it cannot be unsurpassed by any house in the neighbourhood.
In 1866 by order of the liquidator of the Bank of Queensland, Booval House Estate, known as the residence and property of Mr George Faircloth was advertised for sale at the upset price of 500 pounds.
Booval Estate was situated on the main road from Brisbane to Ipswich about three miles from the latter town and adjoining the Cotton Company's plantation. Erected upon the estate was a 14 room, two storey brick house with wide balcony and veranda running round two sides and front, brick laundry containing three rooms, detached kitchen and servants room of wood, brick stable containing 5 stalls, coach house, gardeners and grooms rooms, hay house, harness room, courtyard enclosed by high brick walls, pig sty, and stockyards. Terms of sale were half cash with balance at 12 months with 10 percent added.
SALE OF TOWN HALL
In January 1869 the School of Arts was advertised for sale. The notice read - Highly important to capitalists, speculators and others on the lookout for a safe and reliable investment - the School of Arts Ipswich for absolute sale to be sold by public auction at the City Mart, Queen & Edward Streets, Brisbane.
The School of Arts adjoining the Post Office and Telegraph office stand on about half an acre of land and occupies a frontage to Brisbane Street of 65 feet with a similar frontage to Limestone Street. The building comprises eight large rooms, the great hall, library, reading and committee rooms. Then on March 11, 1869 the following appeared in the newspaper: arrangements have been made respecting the purchase of the Schools of Arts by the Ipswich Corporation. The Mayor has succeeded in obtaining from the Government a loan of 2,800 pounds for the purpose.