Somerset bridges to reopen
SOMERSET: Two flood damaged bridges will be officially reopened by the Queensland Reconstruction Authority next week.
Major General Dick Wilson will be attending the opening of the Richards and Hubners bridges next Tuesday.
Somerset mayor Graeme Lehmann said the local community was invited to attend the ceremonies.
Council works manager Andrew Johnson will be giving a brief overview of the Richards Bridge project on site at 3.15pm.
This will be followed by official ceremonies at 3.30pm on site at Hubners Bridge and an afternoon tea for the local community.
Cr Lehmann said the official events were important to celebrate the significance of the crossings and the importance of reconnecting communities quickly.
"Hubners Bridge is the only way in and out for those who live on the other side and it is an essential link for the local community," he said.
"After Hubners bridge was completely destroyed in last January's floods, council moved swiftly to open a temporary crossing just one week later.
"Now, with an eye to the future, council has with Hubners Bridge delivered a new, state-of-the-art two-lane concrete bridge designed to last 100 years and withstanding future flooding.
"The old wooden Richards Bridge has been replaced with a two lane concrete structure and raised to improve its immunity against future flood events."
Cr Lehmann said both projects had been delivered ahead of the QRA schedule and had been fast-tracked because of their significance to local communities vulnerable to isolation.
"We are looking forward to the Major-General's visit to show the results of Council's hard work through the QRA flood restoration process.
"These completed projects are testament to Somerset Regional Council's ability to get on with the job of rebuilding the flood-ravaged region," he said.
To RSVP to the official bridge opening events, please phone the Somerset Regional Council on 5424 4000.