A SENIOR clinician from the Barrett Adolescent Mental Health Centre has been stood aside while claims a patient sexually assaulted a fellow patient are investigated.
Health Minister Lawrence Springborg revealed the investigation would also look how supervisors responded to the incident and other clinical concerns.
"In recent days there have been some concerns raised that there has not been appropriate clinical governance and oversight about matters of concern that have been brought to the attention of those in charge of the Barrett Centre," he said.
"More particularly there has been concerns over safety of one of the patients there with an alleged sexual assault. "...and that those in charge did not take appropriate action to actually oversee and investigate that."
Mr Springborg confirmed a senior clinician had been stood aside as a result.
He told reporters on Thursday there were also clinical concerns raised but would not go into detail.
The fate of the Barrett Centre has been clouded amid rumours the State Government will close the centre.
Shadow Health Minister Jo Ann-Miller said the sexual assault allegations should not be used as an excuse to close the facility.
"Any allegation should be investigated, there is no problem in relation to that," the Bundamba MP said. "However, you can't come out and say there is no future to the Barrett Centre or not say what is happening with The Barrett Centre because there is a investigation underway."
But Mr Springborg said the allegations would have no impact on the facility's closure.
"There will be no closure of the Barrett Facility until such time as we can confidently be assured there are appropriate resources located within the communities where those young people originate from," he said.