News

Royal prank death nurse left suicide note to family

The nurse at the centre of the royal hoax phone call scandal left a note for her family, it has been revealed.

Jacintha Saldanha is thought to have committed suicide after transferring a prank phone call from radio DJs to the ward where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for acute morning sickness.

The 46-year-old was the senior duty nurse at the King Edward VII Hospital when two Australian radio presenters called pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles.

The phone call was made at 5:30am last Tuesday, before the hospital's secretary had started work.

Mrs Saldanha's family today demanded answers from the hospital over the circumstances that led to her death, saying an internal inquiry is not enough.

A family photo of Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who was found dead after being caught up in a Royal radio prank involving a Sydney station.
A family photo of Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who was found dead after being caught up in a Royal radio prank involving a Sydney station.

Her husband Ben Barboza, 49, and their children Junal, 17 and Lisha, 14,  have demanded to "know everything".

Labour MP Keith Vaz, who is representing the family, met the hospital's chairman Lord Glenarthur to demand a full inquiry into her death.

The chairman of the Commons home affairs committee, said: "What the family need are the full facts."

Mr Vaz added: "What the chairman of the hospital said to me was that there are inquiries going on in the hospital…That is not sufficient for the family. There are unexplained circumstances. The family want to know everything. All the facts, fully and clearly."

He went on: "The hospital needs to be more proactive, a full inquiry is needed and the family need to be included in that."

Mr Barboza, an NHS accountant, and his children live in Bristol, while Mrs Saldanha stayed in staff accommodation at the west London hospital.

Mr Vaz said: "They are a lovely close-knit family, a Catholic family, who will be spending their first Christmas without their mother, and for Ben, without his wife."

He added: "They were in the dark about the hoax call. They hadn't watched the news or seen anything about it. They didn't know they were involved until after Jacintha's death."

Meanwhile, the radio station that employs the presenters that made the call came under increasing pressure explain why they gave the go-ahead.

Southern Cross Austereo, the company which owns 2Day FM, said it would be donating almost $500,000 (£320,000)  to a memorial fund set up in Mrs Saldanha's name by King Edward VII Hospital, and added it has cancelled its Christmas party.

Rhys Holleran, Southern Cross Austereo's chief executive, said: "We hope that by contributing to a memorial fund we can help to provide the Saldanha family with the support they need at this very difficult time."

The Duchess of Cambridge, who was discharged from hospital on Thursday is said to have suffered another bout of morning sickness since.

She will not be joining Prince William at The Hobbit premiere in Leicester Square tomorrow evening and will "continue to rest privately", a royal official said.

 If you or someone you know may be at risk of suicide contact Lifeline 13 11 14, beyondblue 1300 22 46 36, or Salvo Care Line 1300 36 36 22

Should radio stations continue to do prank calls?

This poll ended on 22 December 2012.

Current Results

Yes. Most of the time they are harmless fun

18%

No. They promote making fun of other people

48%

Yes. But only after consent is given for it to be broadcast

21%

It depends on how they are done.

11%

This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.

 

Topics:  2day fm jacintha saldanha kate middleton royal radio prank



Temperatures to plummet to single digits this week

Temperatures will drop into the single digits this week.

Forecasters reveal what to expect in the last week of autumn

Patients inside as ambulance hit on highway

Queensland Ambulance Service transported a 60-year-old man from Septimus

Three paramedics among the injured

James Hardie boss devastated by work death

Emergency Services, Ambulance, QAS, Photo Bev Lacey / The Chronicle

A MAN in his 60s has died in an industrial accident.

Local Partners

Six things you never knew about Men in Black

IT’S been 20 years since Men in Black first hit cinemas. Makes you feel old, doesn’t it?

10 strange stories behind famous sex scenes

Khaleesi and Khal Drogo in a steamy moment.

Every set has their own way of filming sex scenes

HBO spills new details on Game of Thrones’ final season

Game of Thrones’ eighth and final season will only have six episodes.

New details about what to expect from the eighth, final instalment.

Karl’s rant on Corby: ‘Made to look like idiots’

Karl Stefanovic is sick of hearing about Schapelle Corby.

Today co-host launched a tirade against Schapelle Corby media circus

Big Pineapple festival safety concerns as 100s walk home

LONG WALK HOME: Many festival goers opted to take a dangerous walk home due to transport difficulty following the Big Pineapple Festival in Woombye on Saturday.

Big Pineapple festival-goers have braved dangerous walks home

Shot at the live shows slips through Sally's fingers

Sally Skelton and Bojesse Pigram pictured after their battle performance on The Voice.

Sunshine Coast singer's dramatic elimination from The Voice

Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor split after 17 years

They were married in May 2000 and have two children, who they said will remain their priority.

Ben Stiller and his wife Christine Taylor have called it a day

Home to a sex worker: Sordid history of iconic Coast shed

Milojevic Djordjevic's daughter Linda at the derelict shed on Yandina-Coolum Road.

The shed was once a liveable 'barrack'.

This is real estate's billion-dollar man

Bob Wolff at AREC with John McGrath of McGrath Real Estate.

They don’t call him the “Billion dollar man” for nothing

Man's amazing comeback from monster crisis

Pat O'Driscoll agents Penny Keating and Doug Webber sold 56 Agnes St, The Range at auction over the weekend.

NOT long ago, he sold his possessions to pay staff. Now he's back.

Report reveals progress on $319m airport upgrade

Aerials of the Sunshine Coast.Jetstar plane in front of the Susnhine Coast terminal, Sunshine Coast Airport.

Over two dozen government approvals needed for airport expansion

Lost dough leaves sour taste after company collapse

Kathleen and John Mahoney from Sugar and Spice Bakery were stung after the collapse of Cantro Pty Ltd and are still owed money.

Supermarket operator collapse leaves sour taste for bakery

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!