Road blitz leads to charges
A MONTH long heavy-vehicle road safety blitz by Queensland Police Service traffic officers has seen plenty of offenders charged.
Police Minister Jo-Ann Miller said the QPS and other authorities had been out in force intercepting more than 10,000 heavy vehicles as part of Operation Austrans 2015.
Ms Miller said between May 18 and June 13, police detected 84 incidents of speeding, 31 cases of drivers not wearing seat belts and 26 mobile phone or distraction offences.
"As well, a total of 30 drivers tested positive to a roadside drug test while nine people were charged with drink driving following nearly 7,000 RBTs being conducted," Ms Miller said.
"Forty-five drug offences including possessing dangerous drugs were detected and police also intercepted 39 unlicensed, suspended or disqualified drivers and 66 were either unregistered and or uninsured."
Additionally, 56 critical cases of exceeding work or failing to take a required rest break were detected, 78 drivers failed to produce a work diary, 358 drivers failed to complete their work diary, 20 heavy vehicles severely exceeded their mass, and two had loads that severely exceeded the vehicles' dimensions.
"The Palaszczuk Government is committed to keeping Queenslanders safe on our roads, and I'm pleased the QPS was once again able to take part in this operation which runs right across Australia every year," Ms Miller said.
"While we know the vast majority of heavy vehicle drivers do the right thing, it is important that police focus their attention on all groups of road users - so this operation forms part of the QPS strategy to lower the number of crashes involving trucks and other larger vehicles."
Queensland Trucking Association CEO Peter Garske said the operation "reflects the fact that the vast majority of drivers and operators do so within the law and contribute to positive road safety outcomes".