Times Past: Redbank Plains a haven for visionary settlers
AMONG the settlers on Redbank Plains and district in earlier days were the following:
CHARLES PITT J.P who purchased his first farm and commenced cotton growing.
MICHAEL RYAN J.P who had 230 acres at Redbank Plains, 450 acres on the Upper Bundamba and 100 acres at Rosevale.
EDWARD GRIFFITHS who grew maize, cotton and sugar. His family consisted of 11 sons and six daughters.
CHARLES & JANE YARROW whose voyage out from Britain took six months and in 1863 they settled in Redbank Plains. Mr Yarrow donated land to the Wesleyans on which a church was built and he was a member of the school committee.
HENRY RICE. In 1878 he and his brother erected the Broadleas Sugar Mill and worked it successfully. He earlier owned 4,000 acres of land in Brisbane where he ran 1000 head of cattle.
JESSE HILLIER purchased land and cultivated maize, oaten hay and Lucerne. He took an active interest in local welfare, the local public school and was a regular churchgoer.
WILLIAM KERWIN came to Redbank Plains with his brother. They purchased land and commenced farming, but coal was discovered on the property and they sold the land for 900 pounds.
MICHAEL KERWIN. In 1858 he purchased 180 acres of government land and commenced milling timber, but turned to the cultivation of maize, sugar and cotton.
JAMES JOSEY was a farmer and grazier of O'Pussum Creek and purchased 1,000 acres of land in 1859. He was also a sawyer and cut a large portion of the timber at Pine Mountain which was used for buildings in Limestone (Ipswich). He was thought of as "The Father of Redbank Plains".
In 1867 gold was discovered at Moggill by Messrs Roberts and Skyring.
The 126 children who attended the Redbank Plains Primary School early in 1873 were given a treat of lollies etc. by the teachers, before leaving the school to go and pick cotton.
The menu for patients of Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum in 1875 was: BREAKFAST - Half-a-pound of bread; 10ozs porridge; one pint tea, two tablespoons of treacle, one gill of milk. DINNER - One pound meat (beef or mutton either as a roast or boiled), one lb. potatoes; one pint soup and vegetables. SUPPER - One pint tea and a quarter lb bread.
Some of the patients received butter according to good behaviour, and some of them a little piece of cheese. There was also beer and tobacco daily.
In 1876 there was for sale "all that valuable property being a portion of No. 161 Parish of Goodna, containing newly opened coal-mine known as Mr Geo Hunts.
"Two splendid seams of coal had been found, one of them nearly 6ft thick already opened out and being worked. The Bundamba railway station is only half-a-mile distant, which greatly enhances the value of the property. Capitalists and speculators are requested to inspect the mine".
Forty building sites at Riverview were for sale in April 1887.
The sites fronted the main road and the road leading to Riverview railway station. The land was opened up as a commemoration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee.