Police reveal cause of post office fire

A FIRE that started in an Ipswich post office on the weekend is not being treated as suspicious by police.

Firefighters attended the scene of a fire in the Australia Post building in One Mile on Saturday about 6.20am.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said crews observed a small amount of smoke issuing from the building on Old Toowoomba Rd.

The fire was extinguished at 6.45am.

"(Firefighters) forced entry into the building and sent a team internally to extinguish the fire," she said.

"They put a stop to it pretty quickly."

She could not say how much damage had been caused internally by the fire.

A Queensland Police Service spokeswoman said police were not treating the fire as suspicious.

The spokeswoman said preliminary investigations indicated it was started by an electrical fault.



Woman strangled, beaten and held captive in unit

premium_icon Woman strangled, beaten and held captive in unit

Ipswich man to face court on strangulation and deprivation of liberty offences

See why 55 of Ipswich’s best recognised on honour board

premium_icon See why 55 of Ipswich’s best recognised on honour board

Elite footballers with links to Ipswich clubs possess a multitude of attributes.

Haunting picture of Brisbane teacher before M1 death

premium_icon Haunting picture of Brisbane teacher before M1 death

Photo of Anthony Stott bound to a chair as family of accused slam cops