Police keep watch on social media for mosque fire culprit
POLICE are monitoring social media and following up all leads relating to the Garden City Mosque fire after inquiries so far have failed to identify a culprit.
About 25 posters have been put up around Toowoomba, reminding people of the $25,000 offered through the Arson Rewards Scheme of the Insurance Council of Australia.
It is all designed to encourage people to contact police with any credible information which may lead to the arrest of the people responsible for the suspicious mosque fire in the early hours of Friday, April 17.
Darling Downs district officer Detective Inspector Dave Isherwood said police would re-release CCTV footage captured during the first mosque fire in January this year.
- Arson squad called in to help solve mosque investigation
- Police minister outraged over mosque arson attack
- Toowoomba woman's lone stand against mosque fire
He said the 24-hour police presence at the mosque ended yesterday.
"We have got reward posters up around the city in central locations to try and alert people to the reward," Det. Insp. Isherwood said.
He said police had conducted about 20 interviews during the investigation, which had also called on specialist arson investigators and university experts.
Det. Insp. Isherwood said inquiries so far had failed to suggest the suspicious fire was religiously motivated.
"There is no evidence to suggest at this point in time it is by anyone from the Islamic community," he said.
"At this point in time, there is no evidence found in the course of the investigation specifically identifying the offender or a group of offenders."
He urged people with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.