UPDATE: Norovirus patients discharged from hospital
THE Gladstone Hospital patient who had norovirus was discharged on Tuesday.
The other patients, who were suspected to have it, were expected to be discharged later by last night.
Executive director Gladstone-Banana Hospitals Brendan Docherty said while the patients may still have some symptoms of the highly contagious stomach bug, he said they could be managed at home.
The patients were isolated from other residents and hospital staff to prevent the bug spreading.
"The main hospital practice is to isolate the confirmed and suspected cases to stop the spread within that ward environment," he said.
"They were all moved to one end of the ward," he said.
Tuesday, July 5:
News spread quickly yesterday of the confirmed case of norovirus at the Gladstone Hospital.
Some Gladstone residents have reported having already had the bug, while others shared tips on how to survive it yesterday online.
On The Obsever's Facebook page, social networkers commented about the highly-contagious stomach bug.
"Hence why you should always have a box of gasto tabs an some buscapan in the cupboard ready," Steve Roberts said.
Here is what was said online:
JoJo Mann With everyone in lockdown il be able to get around the shopping centres easier now
Melissa Hyland Cheri Pretorius good thing you'll be on floor 2 !!!
Cassy Miller Oh God.
Cheri Pretorius Oh Dear!!! Not good!!!
Jackie Long I know I just read this just wat we dnt at this stage. Getting out the hand sainitizer
Donna Morrall Sounds about right with the symptoms
Mandajane Howard Get hydration drinks into if u have been near the germs
Alycia English This is why Taylar was in hospital for 5 days
FOUR people have been isolated at the Gladstone Hospital, following the confirmation of a case of community-acquired norovirus.
One patient is confirmed to have the virus and three others are suspected to have it.
Executive director Gladstone-Banana Hospitals Brendan Docherty said the precautions were taken today after the patient was confirmed to having the virus.
"Our staff are doing all they can to ensure infection control is of the highest standard and our patients are cared for in the best possible way," Mr Docherty said.
Norovirus is common in winter and it is a very contagious gastro bug.
The hospital has requested that residents not visit the hospital's adult medical/ surgical ward this week unless absolutely necessary, and if they do need to come, to follow rigorous hand hygiene practices.
Staff have been advised not to come to work if they are unwell, to contact their GP and where possible isolate themselves at home.
Noroviruses cause gastroenteritis with diarrhoea, stomach pain and vomiting.
They are commonly known as gastric flu or stomach flu, winter vomiting and viral gastro.
Queensland Health notes there are several ways a person can catch the gastric flu, including:
- eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus
- touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth
- small airborne particles from projectile vomiting
- having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).
Information is available at: http://conditions.health.qld.gov.au/HealthCondition/condition/14/217/484/norovirus