Airlift for toddler highlights risk of button batteries

IPSWICH parents are being warned of the dangers of button batteries after RACQ CareFlight Rescue airlifted a Coolum Beach toddler who reportedly swallowed one this week.

The two-year-old was said to have swallowed a calculator battery and was taken to Nambour General Hospital.

It is the second time in less than a year CareFlight has airlifted a child suspected to have swallowed a battery and has prompted a warning on the dangers of the tiny toxic objects.

CareFlight's chief medical officer Dr Allan MacKillop said button batteries could lodge in the oesophagus of infants and toddlers and cause serious injury or death if they went undetected.

"Even if you only suspect the child has swallowed the battery, you should immediately take them to your GP or a hospital emergency ward," Dr MacKillop said.

MAKING HEADLINES TODAY...

Pet cat Mufasa is main suspect in stuffed toys mystery

30-year-old in jail again after facing court for the 72nd time

Being single in Ipswich will hurt the hip pocket

Debt collectors to recover $20m in upaid fines: Nicholls

Decision to keep Swanbank open is about asset sales: Union

Ex-Ipswich schoolboy Auva'a set for NRL decider

Registration stickers scrapped from today



How a young tradie escaped this horrific high-speed crash

premium_icon How a young tradie escaped this horrific high-speed crash

'There was glass smashing everywhere and my ute became airborne.'

What do you get with The QT's Premium deal?

What do you get with The QT's Premium deal?

Today we move to a Premium online digital subscription product

EXCLUSIVE: How our new city centre will look

EXCLUSIVE: How our new city centre will look

Details released for new CBD master plan

Local Partners