Parent interviews for special school
MISS Betty Watts BA, AEd, and Mrs T McConnel BA visited Ipswich in July 1955 to interview parents and children seeking admission to the new training centre for sub-normal children.
The interviews took place at the home of Dr and Mrs Patterson. The Ipswich Centre was to open on August 29 in a room at St Stephen's Presbyterian Church hall, Ipswich and there would be no cost.
New furniture had been installed and equipment of the latest kind was to be used. Teacher at the centre would be Miss K Moncrieff, a trained kindergarten teacher who had been on the staff of the Spastic School at New Farm.
A white elephant sale to be held in the Ipswich Town Hall at the end of August, 1955 was organised by Mrs Lound and Mr Fred Betts. This would help towards the establishment of a full-time school for the children.
IN 1903, Ipswich (England) Central School sent a standard to Ipswich Central School Queensland.
The flag measured 3.6m X 1.8m (12ft x 6ft) and consisted of the cross of St George on which was superimposed three gold crowns on a large dark blue shield.
It seems that in 1911, Ipswich Central (Qld) returned the compliment by presenting a flag to its namesake in England.
This information was found by the headmistress of the school, Mrs M R Verner-Smith, when she was looking through some old papers.
A NEW organisation to be called the Queensland Political Association was formed in Ipswich in 1893.
The aims of the Association were: the maintenance of good government; the restoration of confidence in the colony; the promotion of good feeling between all classes; legislation of such a character as will afford equal justice to all whilst inflicting injury on none; the registration of all persons entitled to vote; and the selection and support of suitable candidates for representing the principles of the association in Parliament.
ON MARCH 6, 1917, in an address at the Ipswich Railway Workshops, North Ipswich, a Mr J Brownlier-Henderson, government analyst and chairman of the Queensland Munitions Committee, placed before the men conditions on which men were required to proceed to England as munition workers and the various classes of work they would be called upon to perform.
Men who enrolled would receive a free passage to England and expenses during the journey. Wages would be between three pounds and four pounds ten shillings weekly.
In addition to this, wives of married men would receive a sustenance allowance of 25 shillings a week and two shillings for each child for the first four weeks of employment and thereafter 20 shillings weekly with two shillings for each child.
This allowance would last until the return of the husband and would be paid whether the husband was working or not.
THREE new dormitories at the Ipswich Grammar School were named in honour of "old boys" of the school at a dinner held at the end of July 1955.
The gentlemen concerned were Messrs H V Gibbs and W Phillips and the late Dr Gilmore Wilson.
Another one to be honoured by the Ipswich Grammar School players was Barry Wright, captain of the 1853 IGS fifteen, who had been selected in the Australian Team to tour New Zealand in 1955.