Panels on a home’s roof spark small fire

SOLAR panels have caused the roof of a Tinbeerwah home to catch alight yesterday morning.

Fire crews, police and ambulance officers attended the blaze on Pacific View Dr at 9am before handing over to the Electrical Safety Office who worked for about an hour to get the fire under control. They managed to confine the fire to just the roof of the house.

Clean Energy Council media manager Mark Bretherton said initial reports there was an explosion at the house would not have been caused by the solar panels but faulty electricals.

"I've never heard of solar panels exploding. It's very unlikely and I can't see how they would," he said.

"What sometimes happens is if a switch hasn't been installed properly you might get a small fire but there's only been a handful of incidents in the history of the industry."

The SunWorks Solar Centre owner Mike Trust said the incident was no cause for alarm among solar panel users and the devices were safe. "It's more likely that your fridge or tumble drier will catch on fire."



Ipswich footballer receives A-League boost

premium_icon Ipswich footballer receives A-League boost

Goal-scoring whiz invited to trial with Mariners

'The brain does not kick in': Guard caught twice in a night

premium_icon 'The brain does not kick in': Guard caught twice in a night

The double-whammy left him stranded as he pleaded for leniency

How a businessman has grown his recycling shop tenfold

premium_icon How a businessman has grown his recycling shop tenfold

Man starts with an old dual-cab ute and a trolley from the tip

Local Partners