Mother deserves Power of admiration for playing
KATE Power is grateful to be playing in a grand final given she only returned to netball this season after more than three years away from the game.
But don't expect any grand statements of intent ahead of the season decider from this mother of two.
Power will line up for Aztecs as they take on defending premiers Brothers in the Division 1 grand final at the Doris Howes Complex, Limestone Park this afternoon.
Power's break from the sport was a result of having two daughters but it had been even longer, about 10 years, since the 31-year-old played outdoor netball.
"I guess if we play well I'm confident," she said of her team's prospects in the grand final.
Power's attitude reflects her own limitations since her comeback.
"I'm pretty inconsistent after two babies," she said.
"It's pretty hit and miss. I used to be very consistent but not now."
If Power is able to produce one of her better performances she knows where her team has to perform to win.
"We need to convert our turnovers," she said.
Power is nominally a centre but could shift to wing attack or wing defence depending on the circumstances.
While her confidence in her own form is questionable, Power has faith in her team's defence and attack. "I think probably our opposing ends are our strengths," she said.
That means goal attack-shooter combination of Emilie McInally and Brooke Dixon, along with goal keeper Tahlia Vandenberg.
Power has plenty of respect for her opposition, from ultra-competitive opposite centre Brooke Thompson, whom she's known on the netball court for years, to defensive pair Melissa Beutel and Erin Cameron.
"I think they deserved to make the final," she said.
"If both teams play well it will be a really good match."
Beutel is in a similar boat to Power, having come back to the sport post-babies.
"Mooch (Beutel) is a little bit like me," Power said. "She used to be a very good player.
"But like me, after having babies it's not quite the same.
"Brooke (Thompson) doesn't intimidate me because we've played together so long."
It hasn't been the opposition that have been the toughest challenge to getting back into outdoor netball for Power.
The two things that struck her most were the court size and the sun.
"I don't like the sun," she said.
"And the biggest challenge was the size of the court.
"They're huge compared to indoor.
"It was a shock to the system."
Today's Ipswich netball grand finals at Doris Howes Complex.
- Intermediate Div 2: Rebels 10 v Kachee 4 - Court 3
- 12yrs Division 1: Aztecs 8 v Goodna 5 - Court 5
- 13yrs Division 2: Kachee 10 v Kachee 9 - Court 6
- 12yrs Division 2: Aztecs 9 v Rebels 15 - Court 8
- 11yrs Division 1: Brothers 15 v Aztecs 13 - Court 12
- 11yrs Division 2: Goodna 8 v Goodna 10 - Court 10
- 11yrs Division 3: Flava 8 v Goodna 9 - Court 15.
- Division 3.2: Flava 4 v Rebels 6 - Court 3
- Division 2: Rebels 3 v Aztecs 2 - Court 5
- 13yrs Division 1: Pandas 5 v Flava 7 - Court 6
- 14/15yrs Division 2: Rebels 12 v Rebels 13 - Court 12
- 14/15yrs Division 1: Goodna 3 v Aztecs 6 - Court 15.
- Division 2.2: Flava 3 v Pandas 1 - Court 3
- Division 1: Aztecs 1 v Brothers 1 - Court 5
- Intermediate Division 1: Flava 5 v Rebels 8 - Court 6
- Division 3.1: Rebels 5 v Aztecs 3 - Court 12
- 14/15yrs Division 3: Aztecs 7 v Kachee 7 - Court 15.