More strikes on way in Dinmore dispute
MORE strikes will take place at the Dinmore meatworks next week after a lockout yesterday.
Union members have decided to continue with industrial action, and yesterday informed JBS Australia stoppages had been planned for Thursday and Friday.
JBS went ahead with the lockout despite an offer by workers to cancel yesterday's four-hour strike, said Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union (AMIEU) state secretary Brian Crawford.
Mr Crawford said there was a strong reaction to the lockout by members.
"Accordingly, four-hour stoppages will recommence," Mr Crawford said.
He said stoppages would occur on both the slaughter floor and boning room on Thursday night and Friday afternoon.
Workers in the meatworks' hide plant will strike on Friday night.
The stoppages are part of an ongoing campaign by workers for a 4% pay rise.
The meatworks employs 2000 people, and JBS offered a 3% pay increase in May.
Mr Crawford said members would continue to seek the rise.
"In meetings held this week, AMIEU members gave a strong endorsement to continuing industrial action," Mr Crawford said.
"The meetings were originally called to abandon industrial action that was planned for Thursday, June 28, and Friday, June 29.
"The view of the members was that JBS should be given two weeks without stoppages to see if negotiations could recommence.
"We'd only just started this process when JBS announced what this union regards as a lockout for Friday, June 29."
JBS Australia director and manager of corporate and regulatory affairs John Berry said yesterday the company had not made any announcement regarding plant closures for next week.
Mr Crawford again called on JBS to grant the pay rise.
"The issue is whether, on the one hand, JBS Australia wants to treat workers at Dinmore as second-class citizens," Mr Crawford said.
He said the ban on overtime and working extra days would also remain in place.