Minister says QLD greyhound racing on its last chance
GREYHOUND racing in Queensland will continue but is on its "last chance".
Racing minister Grace Grace said the Queensland Government would not be following the NSW Government in banning the industry - but did not rule out such a dramatic step if further live baiting was discovered.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday she said she believed the Queensland racing industry was salvageable but its future was in its own hands.
"Clearly they know they're on their last chance. And if there is, as I said, any repeat of large-scale scandals as we saw last year, or what we saw uncovered in NSW, all gloves and all bets are off," she said.
Ms Grace said she believed the greyhound industry in Queensland was more willing to reform than in NSW.
"They understand they are basically on a warning and they are doing all they can to operate cooperatively and at this stage in Queensland we believe the industry does have the capability of reform ensuring that we don't have a repeat of what we saw last year," she said.
"I think there is indications in the (NSW) report that there were some horrific and a gross number of incidents that were happening in NSW and I think the sentiment down there was that the industry was basically incapable of reforming."
Queensland Racing Integrity Commissioner Ross Barnett said trainers found to have live baited will be banned from the industry for life.
"I can say that live baiting is at the very highest order investigative priority for the commission. As with the government we have a zero tolerance approach," he said.
"The government has given us a lot of resources and a lot of powers and we will make sure people who are involved in live baiting if they come to the attention of the commission we will go after them with everything we have at our disposal. It remains our number one priority." - ARM NEWSDESK