Michael Douglas: Our marriage is fine, there's no crisis
ACTOR Michael Douglas has denied any "crisis" in his marriage to Catherine Zeta-Jones, just days after her publicist said the couple were spending time apart to work on their relationship.
While promoting his Liberace drama 'Behind the Candelabra' in Berlin on Monday, the 68-year-old insisted the pair "are fine".
Asked about the split, he replied: "I have a crisis at home? No, I think the press has a crisis. We, we are fine. My wife and I are, are fine.
"We take a temporary separation, but the press… it gives you stuff to write about."
Welsh-born Zeta-Jones, 43, and Douglas, who wed in 2000 and have two children together, have not been photographed together since April.
Her publicist, Cece Yorke, said last week that they were "taking some time apart to evaluate and work on their marriage."
Douglas, who has won two Oscars and four Golden Globes during his 40-year career, was diagnosed with throat cancer three years ago but was given the all-clear in 2011.
He courted controversy in June after reportedly blaming the development of his cancer on oral sex.
"Without wanting to get too specific, this particular cancer is caused by HPV [Human papillomavirus] which actually comes about from cunnilingus," he was quoted by The Guardian as saying.
His publicist later retracted the remarks, and said the actor was not referring to his cancer.
Zeta-Jones, perhaps best known for her role in the film adaptation of the musical Chicago, has recently spoken publicly about her battle with bipolar disorder, and said her experiences had strengthened her marriage.
"You find out who you really are and who you are married to," she said. "You find things inside yourself you never imagined were there."