Site manager nabs man with a bin full of copper at St Edmunds

A MAN allegedly seen filling a wheelie bin with copper pipe was chased down and detained by a St Edmunds College site manager, a court has heard.

James Roy Quinn, 37, appeared in the Ipswich Magistrates Court yesterday where he was refused bail and remanded in custody.

He is facing charges of wilful damage and burglary.

Police opposed bail stating he had a criminal history and was a risk of re-offending if released.

The court heard a site manager at a construction site at St Edmunds was locking a gate when he saw Quinn placing a roll of copper into a red wheelie bin.

The court heard when the man approached Quinn he fled the construction site out another gate

The site manager found the wheelie bin had been filled with 12 lengths of copper pipe from the site.

They also found a number of parts of copper twisted and unusable which Quinn has been charged with damaging.

The court heard Quinn was seen by the site manager later that day in Woodend running into a car park.

The man chased Quinn down and detained him until police arrived.

Defence lawyer Alexis Oxley said Quinn had struggled with a long term drug addiction.

The court heard he lived with his partner on Thorn St, Ipswich and was set to start work at a job in two weeks.

Ms Oxley said he intends disputing the charges.

However, Quinn was on bail and serving a two-month suspended prison term when arrested, and unable to show he had cause to be granted bail

Bail was refused and Quinn was remanded in custody until May 7.

EXPLAINED: What you need to know about Qld’s new Covid rules

Premium Content EXPLAINED: What you need to know about Qld’s new Covid rules

Queensland’s coronavirus restrictions are set to ease on Friday, but it will mean...

ALERT: Qld records one new Covid-19 case

Premium Content ALERT: Qld records one new Covid-19 case

There are fears the woman has the more contagious Delta variant

Vandals trash brand new Ipswich house

Premium Content Vandals trash brand new Ipswich house

Offenders wrote on the walls and splattered paint throughout the home.