Police and emergency workers at the scene of the bomb explosion at Snelling Rd, Helidon Spa.
Police and emergency workers at the scene of the bomb explosion at Snelling Rd, Helidon Spa. Nev Madsen

Man gored in DIY explosion

A MAN whose stomach was blown open by a home-made bomb remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Warren Allston, 44, sustained severe injuries – described by emergency services as “open abdomen wounds” – when an explosive detonated near him about 6pm Sunday.

Paramedics rushed to the residence on Snelling Road, Helidon Spa, west of Gatton, to find the man dropping in and out of consciousness.

He was taken to Toowoomba Hospital for emergency surgery, where pieces of the bomb were removed from his body.

Mr Allston’s condition had improved to critical but stable

yesterday. Police investigating the bomb blast said they were hoping Mr Allston would recover enough to be able to give them more information.

Initial reports suggest party sparklers may have been used to make the bomb, and that they may have been shaven off into a metal casing before being detonated outside the Helidon Spa address.

Gatton Criminal Investigation Branch Detective Senior Constable Dave Neumann said it was illegal to make or detonate such an explosive.

“Forensic officers are currently examining the contents of the explosive,” he said. “We suspect sparklers were used but it’s still all under investigation.

No charges have been laid.

Police said Mr Allston was not alone at the residence when the bomb went off, however, they could not comment on how many other people had been there with him.

It is the third time a home-made bomb has caused serious injuries in the Ipswich region within the past 12 months.

In May last year, two boys aged 14 and 15 were injured when a pipe bomb exploded unexpectedly at a Gatton residence, and in August, a 15-year-old boy was almost killed when a bomb made from sparklers shot shrapnel into his face.



Council-owned entity in talks over city bowling alley

premium_icon Council-owned entity in talks over city bowling alley

Ipswich has been starved of a premier bowling alley since 2011

WARNING: Fire ban in place as bushfire risk climbs

WARNING: Fire ban in place as bushfire risk climbs

The ban applies to six councils across southeast Queensland

Local Partners