Setting toilet paper on fire in public loo backfires on teen
SETTING toilet paper on fire inside a Marburg public restroom was meant to be a laugh for three teenagers.
But a court yesterday placed one on a good behaviour bond and warned him he was lucky not to have burned the toilet block down.
Edward Andrew Press, 17, pleaded guilty at the Ipswich Magistrates Court to wilful damage.
The court heard on March 8 smoke was seen billowing out of a public toilet block.
Press, and two juveniles, were seen by a witness going in and out of the toilet block before the smoke was noticed.
The court heard the same witness later saw the group pointing and laughing at the toilets when they could see the smoke coming out.
Emergency services attended the fire and found a smouldering roll of toilet paper inside one of the cubicles, only centimetres from the wooden door, and a small fire in the car park outside the block.
The court heard there was no structural damage to the building.
Press and the two juveniles were arrested and Press readily admitted to helping set the fire, and said they had no intention of burning the building itself.
Defence lawyer Tim Clements said while there was risk of more damage, the actual damage done was at the "lowest end possible" with only rolls of toilet paper damaged.
Magistrate Virginia Sturgess said Press was incredibly lucky the fire hadn't spread.
"You're very fortunate... this could have been a lot more serious," she said.
"It wouldn't have been a great joke if the toilet block had caught fire."
Ms Sturgess placed Press on a $600 good behaviour bond for the next six months.