Opinion

LETTER: Tax will send backpackers elsewhere

IT IS with great disappointment that I write regarding the current proposals regarding for the backpacker tax.

It beggars belief that the Government would now assume that charging 19 cents in the dollar from the first dollar earned, plus taking back 95% of superannuation contributions made by these workers, when they leave the country, is a fair proposal.

To make matters worse Scott Morrison also proposes to increase the departure tax by another $5 for everyone leaving the country.

Essentially it now means that farmers will be paying PAYG tax of 19% plus super of 9.5% - a total of 28.5% to the Federal Government for the privilege of employing extra people at critical harvest times.

Farmers cannot afford it and it will mean that some crops will not be able to be picked in time, resulting in fresh food shortages and increased prices for consumers.

Backpackers will all now go to New Zealand or to Canada where they are treated with more respect.

BERYCE NELSON

Mt Beppo

Topics:  backpackers tax letters to the editor



Gateway Mwy in chaos after one killed in bike crash

Traffic was bumper to bumper at 2pm at Deagon

Police have confirmed one person had died.

A 'catastrophic failure' let black lung go on: inquiry

Ipswich man Percy Verrall was diagnosed with black lung disease in 2015.

Scathing report slams mine health system

Patients inside as ambulance hit on highway

Queensland Ambulance Service transported a 60-year-old man from Septimus

Three paramedics among the injured

Local Partners

My Kitchen Rules champion reveals how he won $250K

VIDEO: Tyson Murr revealed some behind-the-scenes secrets in a speech at Ipswich Grammar School today

Six things you never knew about Men in Black

Mushu the pug

It's been 20 years since Men in Black first hit cinemas

10 strange stories behind famous sex scenes

Khaleesi and Khal Drogo in a steamy moment.

Every set has their own way of filming sex scenes

HBO spills new details on Game of Thrones’ final season

Game of Thrones’ eighth and final season will only have six episodes.

New details about what to expect from the eighth, final instalment.

Karl’s rant on Corby: ‘Made to look like idiots’

Karl Stefanovic is sick of hearing about Schapelle Corby.

Today co-host launched a tirade against Schapelle Corby media circus

Big Pineapple festival safety concerns as 100s walk home

LONG WALK HOME: Many festival goers opted to take a dangerous walk home due to transport difficulty following the Big Pineapple Festival in Woombye on Saturday.

Big Pineapple festival-goers have braved dangerous walks home

Shot at the live shows slips through Sally's fingers

Sally Skelton and Bojesse Pigram pictured after their battle performance on The Voice.

Sunshine Coast singer's dramatic elimination from The Voice

New $46.7m counter-terrorism facility to be built in Wacol

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, pictured with Police Commisioner Ian Stewart, has announced plans to build a new counter-terrorism facility in Wacol.

The facility will be built over three years.

Home to a sex worker: Sordid history of iconic Coast shed

Milojevic Djordjevic's daughter Linda at the derelict shed on Yandina-Coolum Road.

The shed was once a liveable 'barrack'.

This is real estate's billion-dollar man

Bob Wolff at AREC with John McGrath of McGrath Real Estate.

They don’t call him the “Billion dollar man” for nothing

Man's amazing comeback from monster crisis

Pat O'Driscoll agents Penny Keating and Doug Webber sold 56 Agnes St, The Range at auction over the weekend.

NOT long ago, he sold his possessions to pay staff. Now he's back.

Report reveals progress on $319m airport upgrade

Aerials of the Sunshine Coast.Jetstar plane in front of the Susnhine Coast terminal, Sunshine Coast Airport.

Over two dozen government approvals needed for airport expansion

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!