Leap-year joy arrives times four at Ipswich
LITTLE Taliahna Terei-Tapuira's introduction into the world was relatively quick and free of complications - apart from one little inconvenient fact.
From now until the end of her days, she will only be able to truly celebrate her birthday once every four years.
Whether this leaves her looking and feeling younger remains to be seen, but yesterday it was of little consequence to her proud mum and dad, who now have four healthy little girls in the family.
Taliahna was born at Ipswich Hospital about 11.45am yesterday morning - February 29 - weighing a very healthy 3.284kg.
Her mum, Korina Terei, was such a trooper that she was ready to go straight home from the birthing suite within a few hours of delivering her beautiful baby, who was 13 days overdue.
"I feel just fine," the Booval mum said yesterday afternoon.
"I think we will celebrate Taliahna's birthday on March 1."
Taliahna has gone home to see her older sisters, aged 3, 2, and 1, for the first time.
Ipswich Hospital welcomed another three new arrivals yesterday.
February 29 through the years
- 1908 Dutch scientists produce solid helium
- 1940 Hattie McDaniel becomes first black woman to win an Oscar
- 1968 Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band wins Grammy
- 1976 ABC-TV broadcast premiere of 1965's hit The Sound of Music
- 1996 Kenya defeat West Indies (all out 93) in Cricket World Cup