Judd wants to go out a winner
LEADING Top Doorslammer drag racer Robin Judd will call it quits at the end of this weekend's 45th annual Fuchs Winternationals at Willowbank Raceway.
Perth-based Judd, one of Australia's most successful Top Doorslammer racers, has lost the passion for the sport.
Australia's quickest Doorslammer racer also cited increasing business commitments, a looming global recession and the sport's lack of the direction as contributing factors to his retirement decision.
With Judd's racing career coming to an end this weekend, he is looking to finish on a high by winning the season-ending Winternationals, considered Australia's most prestigious drag racing event.
Judd was runner-up at the 2009 and 2010 Winternationals.
He is keen to win this year's event to add to his two Australian National (2009 and 2010) and Goldenstate (2009) titles.
"While I have enjoyed the past 14 years racing in Top Doorslammer, it is now time to stop,'' he said.
"My business commitments require a lot more of my time and wearing my accountant's hat, I believe the economy is going to tighten in the short to medium term.
"The commercial and management issues facing the sport make the business case difficult and Group One drag racing has not moved forward to where I believe it should be, which disappoints me."
While Judd concedes he cannot win this year's Australian Top Doorslammer championship series, a victory at the Winternationals could make him runner-up in the ANDRA Pro Series for the third time in the past four seasons.
He was also runner-up in the 1999-2000 championship.
Judd ran Australia's quickest Top Doorslammer pass, at 5.762 seconds, when he qualified top at last month's Nitro Champs at Sydney Dragway. He also ran Australia's first Top Doorslammer 5.7-second pass, at 5.779 seconds, while testing for last year's Nationals.
At the five championship rounds contested to date, Judd has qualified top at the past three ANDRA Pro Series Top Doorslammer championship events and qualified second at the first two events.
He believes his team can win the Winternationals, providing a fitting way to retire.
Preparing to retire this weekend, Robin Judd is third in the ANDRA Pro Series Top Doorslammer championship race (460.5pts), behind John Zappia (567) and Peter Kapiris (521.5).
Quick facts about Judd:
- Quickest pass was 5.762sec at Sydney Dragway, May 5, 2012 (Australia's quickest Top Doorslammer pass).
- Fastest pass was 252.76mph (406.77kmh) at Sydney Dragway, May 5, 2012.
- Won Top Doorslammer at the 2009 and 2010 Australian Nationals (Sydney Dragway); 2009 Goldenstates (Perth Motorplex); Adelaide 2001 and 2000 Tin Tops (Willowbank).
- The first Top Doorslammer racer in Australia to run a 5.7-second pass - 5.779sec at Sydney Dragway, September 7, 2011.
- The first Top Doorslammer racer in Australia to run a 5.8-second pass - 5.868sec at Perth Motorplex, November 16, 2008.
- Has recorded 76 five-second Top Doorslammer passes, including 34 in the 5.8sec zone and two in the 5.7sec zone.
- Competed in 82 of the 108 championship series events staged to date.
- Third on the all-time Top Doorslammer championship point's ladder with 5183 points.