News

Jayant Patel retrial pushed back

THE first retrial against former Bundaberg surgeon Jayant Patel has been pushed back to February.

His legal team told Brisbane Supreme Court they could not yet make an application for a judge-only trial because they had not retained defence counsel.

Arun Raniga said he was about two weeks away from finalising counsel and they would then make a joint decision on whether to make an application.

The court heard the first trial would be for the alleged manslaughter of Mervyn Morris, 75, who died on June 14, 2003, which was three weeks after Patel removed part of his bowel.

Justice Glenn Martin said preparing for the four new trials, ordered after the High Court last month quashed Patel's earlier convictions, should not take too long.

He said the High Court had been clear about how the Crown needed to run its case.

The first trial has been shifted from November to February 4 next year.

Topics:  brisbane supreme court jayant patel manslaughter charge retrial



REVEALED: When new Ipswich honky-tonk bar will open

The bull is in the building ready to ride at the proposed launch of Johnny Ringos in the Hotel Metropole building on October 6.

'Expensive plan' in place to turn run-down pub into western bar

NEW BUSINESS: Mum, daughter team up in 'glamorous' venture

RED CARPET: Maryanne and Megan Einam showing off some of the Beautiful Moments Formal and Bridal gowns.

Bridal, formal gowns in sizes 0 to 40 available to buy off the rack

Council staffer due in court on corruption charge

Ipswich City Council Administration Building and Council Chambers.

Senior council employee accused of "dishonest dealing”

Local Partners