Ipswich's birth as a sports hub
IPSWICH has been a place where clubs and individuals have featured among the winners in the many sporting events. The Queensland Times has been instrumental in reporting such events, so here are just some of the news items regarding sports from the early 1900s.
Tenders were called in January 1910 for the erection of a wooden golf house in Queens Park. Later it was reported that Mr WK Batley Hon. Architect, was to draw up plans for this building. It was on June 18, 1910 that the golf house was officially opened by the Mayor Ald M Bowers.
GOODNA RIFLE CLUB
At the 1910 annual social of the Goodna rifle Club in the Odd fellow's hall, competition winners were announced. They were Messrs T Milady, W Kennedy, Jas McCormack, A Thornton, C Robertson, P Noble, Cpt A Palmer and Master G Lobban. Winner of the Queensland Rifle association's silver medal was Capt. F Palmer.
A Meeting convened by Mr G Shillito held in August 1910 was held for the purpose of considering the formation of a bowling club in Ipswich. The first general meeting of the Ipswich Bowling club took place at the rooms of the Hon. Secretary Mr G Allen, Bell St on 13th October 1910. It was estimated at that time that the annual up keep of the green would be 300 pounds.
The first tennis court in the Ripley district was officially opened on September 24 1910 by the patron of the club Mr W Armstrong MLA. Mr Miller and Mr James of Gatton played the opening set against Messrs Rowe & breusvch of Mt Sylvia.
A meeting at Mr E Easton's residence "Burtonsville" was held on October 13, 1910 to consider the formation of a tennis club at Booval. A committee was formed and this was made up of Messrs E Easton E Murray, J McMahon, Medames C McPherson, treasurer, J McMahon secretary, Jas Anderson and Miss Cole.
The west Moreton Cycling club held a 5 mile road race in September 1910. The course was from the top of Limestone Hill through Booval, Silkstone and Irishtown with the finishing point at a horse-trough on Warwick Rd. Winner was Mr G Rylatt.
The first annual meeting of Blackstone League Football Club was held in March 1911. Mr Lewis Thomas was re-elected patron and Mr T Cribb Jnr re-elected president.
At a meeting in the Caledonian Society Rooms in the Lands Office East St Ipswich in 1911, the railway Association Football Club was formed. Colours chosen for uniforms were white with green bands and white knickers. Those elected to office were M Pemberton, Mr T Cribb Jnr, Mr E Robinson, Mr H Helsdon and Mr a Middleton.
Elected to office in the Excelsior ladies swimming club at its meeting on October 31 1911 were - Treasure N Butchart, Secretary L McGregor.
The Ipswich & West Moreton motorcycle club was formed at a meeting held on September 5, 1912 in Mr W Dowd's cycle shop.
The opening run was made to Boonah on September 7 that year.