Paedophile's art offensive

A CONVICTED pedophile will be banned from contact with minors after creating an obscene and pornographic drawing.

The 66-year-old man, who was convicted of abusing young boys in 1985, recently admitted he created the “child exploitation material” despite no real children being involved in his art.

Police received a tip-off about the drawing and searched Robert Tyler Nash's Fairney View home, near Fernvale, on June 16 last year.

The drawing depicted adult men involved in explicit sexual activities with young boys.

Ipswich District Court heard Nash seemed to think the drawing was funny when speaking to a psychiatrist.

“He also tried to blame his deviant behaviour on his non-smoking,” Crown Prosecutor Sarah Farnden said.

Ms Farnden said the drawing was made more serious, considering Nash's previous criminal offending.

In 1985 Nash was convicted of three charges of indecent dealing with young boys and sentenced to three years jail which was reduced on appeal to two years.

But Ms Farnden said there was no evidence Nash planned to distribute his offensive image.

Nash pleaded guilty to making child exploitation material.

He was put on three years' probation with a conviction recorded.

Nash will be required to undergo drug and alcohol counselling, psychiatric counselling, a sexual offenders program and he will be banned from unsupervised contact with children under 16.

He will also be subject to reporting conditions under the Child Protection (Offender Reporting) Act 2004.

Defence barrister Debra Wardle said the public shame which followed from the Queensland open court system would also punish her client.

Ms Wardle said no children were harmed in the making of the drawing and Nash never planned to show anyone.

“He came to realise it was offensive,” Ms Wardle said.

“Police searched his computers and no other downloaded material was found. The material was for his personal gratification.”

Judge Deborah Richards said the offence was unusual as no children were harmed but it was made more serious by Nash's history.

“But it's your only other conviction since that time 26 years ago,” Judge Richards said.

“So there's no suggestion that there has been continuing abuses of young boys in your background.”

'I am a lion': MP Jo-Ann Miller roars in parliament

'I am a lion': MP Jo-Ann Miller roars in parliament

"There are two types of elected officials"

Students unite in the name of diversity

Students unite in the name of diversity

USQ celebrates Harmony Day with music, dancing and food

Kids' letters lift troop morale while overseas

Kids' letters lift troop morale while overseas

Local schools have prepared over 350 care packages for Anzac Day

Local Partners