Ipswich monument in Blackall’s honour
COLONEL Samuel Blackall, Queensland's second governor, died in 1871 but on March 12, 1875 the people of Ipswich were still trying to decide what to erect to commemorate this popular man.
A clock was being considered, but the only one the Blackall Testimonial Committee would consider was one with three dials and a bell.
Unfortunately such a clock cost 200 pounds and there was only 100 pounds nine shillings and expense in the funds, so no final decision was made at a public meeting at the time.
One May 31, 1879 a public notice in The Queensland Times invited tenders for the erection of a column and fountain in stone.
By September 23, 1880 it was announced that work had commenced on the erection of the Blackall fountain and it was to be placed in the centre of Brisbane and Nicholas Sts, Ipswich.
When the formal laying of the base stone took place on November 30 1880, a report stated: "It really wasn't very surprising that few people attended the function as it had been nine years since the Governor had died".
Among those who did attend were His Excellency Sir Arthur Kennedy who performed the ceremony, Captains O'Callaghan and Broome, the Colonial secretary the Hon A H Palmer, Captain Grieve and Lieutenant Sachse of the war vessel "Atjah".
Ladies were permitted to witness the proceedings from the grounds of St Paul's Anglican Church. Stone for the monument (now situated on Denmark Hill) came from Murphy's Creek quarry; the column was in Italian style with the sculpture known as the "Temple of the Wind", the design for which was taken for a temple of that name in ancient Athens.
The fountain section of the monument was finally completed on December 15, 1880 and one of the first people to drink for it on December 16 was the Hon J Douglas CMG.
This verse from a poem written at the time of the fountain's completion:
Old Ipswich is proud of the Memorial this day
She's the first in the colony such tribute to pay
And truly it adds to her high reputation
To set the example as "Head of Navigation".
"A NEW branch of industry had just been introduced" was reported during 1869."For some time we have been familiar with various novel applications of paper. We have good paper shirt collars and waistbands, shirt fronts and bonnets (which no female would think of putting on her head). But now in 1869 the uses of paper are very much extended by a patent process of M Pavy. The paper made by this process is a peculiar kind which M Pavy calls Felted."
Both animal and vegetable materials are used in this paper production such as New Zealand Flax, jute, plants of the Mallow, flax, hemp, cotton, wool, silks, skins and another material that is certainly a novelty in paper making.
All these items were reduced to pulp and then bleached and finally "felted". This gave a paper of extraordinary pliancy, flexibility and strength.
Some of the articles made from this "new" paper in 1869 were petticoats, bed furniture of imitation cretonnes and chintzes set of curtains.