Thousands meet Governor
THE official visit of his Excellency the Governor Sir George Ferguson Bowen and Lady Bowen to the newly created state of Queensland took place on December 20, 1859.
They and their escort came from Brisbane, stopping at Redbank where they were met by a large number of people on horseback from the establishment of the Messrs Campbell.
The article of that time continued: “Eventually they arrived at Mr Faircloth’s home at Booval where the party alighted and partook of a slight refection”, and Sir George took the opportunity of changing his costume.
Precisely at three o’clock the party left Booval escorted by several carriages and some 400 to 500 people on horseback, and by 3.40pm they reached the Limestone Ridge and were joined by at least 1500 pedestrians whose numbers were swelled by accessions from each street crossing.
The procession passed along Brisbane Street to East Street then turned into Bremer Street along Nicholas Street and then down Brisbane Street to East Street where Lady Bowen alighted at Colonel Grays.
His Excellency proceeded to the club house and when he appeared on the balcony, he was loudly cheered by the assembled crowd.
The cavalcade was described as being headed by the mounted police followed by the carriage containing his Excellency and Lady Bowen accompanied by the Colonial Secretary; then a carriage on which a Greek flag was displayed, while on the box and rumble a brass band was arranged and its leader seated on the front seat of the carriage.
The town was decorated by flags of great variety, among the more remarkable appeared a blue-and-white cross and stars at Mr Thorns; a green ensign and red cross at Mr Gorry’s; a large blue flag over a Greek flag at Mr Grays; and a blue ensign with Manz and Derry emblems at Mr Givens. From Mr Reeves and the Bank of New South Wales, a banner was hung across the street with the words, “Welcome our Governor” and “Advance Queensland”, suspended between a number of pennants and flags.
NEHEMIAH Bartley wrote the book Australian Pioneers and Reminiscences about 1880, and here is a particular section describing a little of his thoughts about Ipswich.
He wrote “There was bone and vitality in the limestone waters of our town and men ate and drank of the best.
“George Holt made bread of the flour of Hart and the volcanic pastures of Mount Flinders sent in the purest butter. Mr George Faircloth saw that the North Australian Club’s cellars were replete with Veuve Clequot and Mr Yaldwyn was responsible for the four-year-old turkeys.
“The racehorses were gallant and the women who came to see them compete were fair to view, and many a Queensland love match was cemented in old Ipswich, where the hard water would never make good tea.”
We never seem to have such sunsets and sunrises now-a-days as used to be witnessed from the old Limestone Ridge between 1855 and 1860.
OFFICE bearers in 1970-71 of the Ipswich Show Society were: Patron Arthur E. Hastings; president Fred T. Hooper; vice presidents R.A. Laidlaw, E.N. Kruger, J. Daly and J. Faulkner; hon. treasurer M.H. Mudford, assistant treasurer J. Fraser and secretary Lloyd Carleton.
The revenue for the year amounted to $56,319.58 and the profit was $5871.53.
Among improvement at the Ipswich Showground were the installation of a switchboard in the main pavilion; installation of switch boxes and erection of power lines to the camping area; also a water supply was connected to the camping area.
Among attractions at the show were Skippy the Bush Kangaroo; the vintage car spectacular and the animal nursery.
IN September 1907, Mr W.R. Blacks Blackheath Colliery comprised some 600 acres of land situated on what was known as the “loop-line” almost within sight of the Blackstone-Redbank Road, not far from Boxflat colliery.
There were 20 miners employed along with others such as draymen, and the daily output of coal was around 330 to 350 tonnes and miners averaged nine shillings in wages a day.
Mr Black was about to introduce electric coal cutters in the mine and could have found employment for another 25 miners but none were available in the district.