Don't serve up food poisoning
THIS Christmas, Ipswich residents are being warned that hot weather and catering for large get-togethers can increase the risk of food poisoning.
According to Queensland Health, preparing food for more people than usual, copious amounts of left-overs, overloaded fridges and the summer heat provide perfect conditions for food poisoning bugs to multiply.
Queensland Health’s health protection executive director Sophie Dwyer warned food poisoning could be particularly serious for young children, the elderly, pregnant women and anyone in poor health.
“Large Christmas turkeys and other poultry should be completely defrosted, ideally in the fridge, and this can take several days,” she said.
“Leftovers can taste great, but they can also lead to severe gastro-intestinal illness if not handled correctly.”
Tips to help keep your Christmas healthy include avoiding fridge overcrowding, keeping raw meat, poultry and seafood from touching other food, and using separate cutting boards and utensils for raw meat and ready-to-eat foods.