Silkstone fire probe runs cold
THE trail has run cold for police investigating last year’s arson attack on Silkstone State School.
Three school buildings were destroyed in the massive blaze which was deliberately lit on the afternoon of September 20, 2009.
More than a year on, Ipswich’s Child Protection and Investigation Unit has exhausted all avenues of enquiry and is appealing for members of the public to breathe some new life into the case.
CPIU Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Dave Hunter said police spoke to eight “persons of interest” during the investigation – none of whom have been charged.
“We questioned six juveniles aged between 13 and 16 and two adults over the arson – all of them were co-operative with our enquiries,” Senior Sergeant Hunter said.
Unfortunately the information gathered was not enough to progress with charges or further investigation into the arson.
Days after the fire, police linked several graffiti tags – which had been sprayed on the walls of an under-construction toilet block – to the more-serious crime.
But the link also brought them no closer to laying charges.
Despite the fact the investigation is being led by the CPIU, police still haven’t ruled out the possibility that people over the age of 18 were involved.
Snr Sgt Hunter said the case was effectively stalled unless investigators received new information.
“Obviously, given the level of public interest in relation to the school, it’s still something we’re very keen to follow through,” he said.
“We’ll certainly pursue any lead or any new information we receive.”
Anyone with information that could assist police should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.