Historic grave sites get refurbishment
TEN grave sites at the historic Tallegalla Cemetery have been upgraded under a $6500 pilot program.
The upgrade, undertaken by Ipswich City Council improved the visibility, safety and future maintenance of 10 graves with retrofitting of a lawn beam to graves along Row 21 of the historic cemetery. The graves were fitted with large, stable bases for family plaques and memorials and concrete desks were also fitted at no cost to families, offering an improved viewing angle and two spaces for memorial items.
Land for Tallegalla Cemetery was originally surveyed in 1876 after being donated by Rosewood pioneer Charles Freeman.
It was originally named Walloon Cemetery but by 1886 was known as Rosewood General Cemetery. In 1902 it was renamed Rosewood Cemetery, becoming Tallegalla Cemetery in 1920.