News

Hunger striker transferred to Australia 'temporarily'

AN asylum seeker who has been on a hunger strike for almost 50 days has been transferred to Australia to undergo urgent medical attention.

There were reports earlier this week of the man, who is believed to be Iranian, being hospitalised in Nauru, prompting Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to call on Immigration Minister Chris Bowen to intervene.

The Department of Immigration confirmed after 5pm on Friday that the man had been transferred to Australia "temporarily" because his condition had deteriorated to a point where he could not be treated on Nauru.

A department spokesman would not provide further details about whether the man had ingested any food or specifics about his medical condition.

The decision was based on a recommendation by the department's health services provider, International Health and Medical Services.

As soon as he is deemed fit to travel the man will be returned to the processing centre on Nauru.

Meanwhile, a second group of asylum seekers, including 12 children, has been transferred to the regional processing centre on Manus Island.

The department said the transfer was made up entirely of eight families from Sri Lanka and Iran and included 16 adults and the children.

They arrived in Papua New Guinea early on Friday.

The selection of this group was based on "operational considerations and an assessment of their particular circumstances", the department said.

Topics:  hunger strike manus island nauru



Body found during search for missing fisherman

SES and Police search for a missing person at Wivenhoe Dam.

A 38-year-old man went missing while swimming last Sunday

Lightning lands at Amberley

TOUCHDOWN: The first of the RAAF's F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike fighters landed at Amberley on Monday.

5th gen fighter arrives

Father fights for recognition for Grantham flood victim wife

Gary Jibson (previously Danny McGuire) is fighting to have his late wife recognised as a rural fire fighter.

Llync-Chiann Clarke-Jibson and children swept to their death in 2011

Local Partners

Jimmy Kimmel opens up about Oscars stuff-up

Academy Awards host Jimmy Kimmel gives his take on the epic Oscars envelope error: “It was the weirdest TV finale since ‘Lost’”

Groom threatens to walk out of Married At First Sight

Andrew is just about done with his “horrible” relationship with Cheryl.

ANOTHER explosive breakup is looming after a disastrous home visit.

'I wasn't naked': Blanca Blanco speaks out

Blanca Blanco arriving at the 89th Academy Awards. Picture: Ian West/PA WireSource:AAP

"It was a nude colour, it matches my skin, so I wasn’t naked.''

‘IT’S A LITTLE SAD’: Trump makes Oscars bungle all about him

US President Donald Trump claims Hollywood's elite were too busy mocking him to pay attention on Oscars night.

Donald Trump ‘explains’ Oscars stuff up.

Lama and Sarah’s ‘epic’ MKR fail

My Kitchen Rules contestants Lama and Sarah.

Tempers flare as Lebanese feast turns into an epic fail.

Oscars 2017: How did biggest award get stuffed up?

Presenter Warren Beatty shows the envelope with the actual winner for best picture as host Jimmy Kimmel, left, looks on at the Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The winner was originally announced as La La Land, but was later corrected to Moonlight.

'Guys in headsets starting buzzing around. They took the envelope.'

Lisa Curry can't marry her fiance

Lisa Curry breaks down in the jungle.

Lisa Curry says she can’t get married to her fiance

Pahlke votes against "sardine city" small blocks

BOLD: Cr David Pahlke followed through on his opposition to smaller block sizes in the general council meeting.

David takes stand in council against State's housing density move

Casino boss loses $4m on waterfront Sunshine Coast home

The owner of this stunning Noosa home accepted much less than he had initially wanted for the home.

When illness struck owner forced to try and cash out of property

Mining homes dive: $600k homes sell for $120k-$300k

18 Yeates Street, Moranbah sold for $135,000 in December, after being repossessed by a bank. The owners bought for $545,000 in August, 2011.

The economy still has two speeds, but with a painful twist

Mackay's property market climbing like a Rocket Man

Renewed confidence in Mackay means more homes are being snapped up by those eager to plant their roots in the region.

There's movement in the real estate sector and it's all positive.

'Why we drove 800km to buy a treehouse with a disco ball'

The new owners have planned a few updates, but will stick with much of the original design.

A couple travelled almost 800km for the home of their dreams.

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!