Hundreds turn out for relay
MORE than 650 people from 59 teams kept an 18-hour vigil over the weekend.
After being held in October last year, the ninth annual Relay for Life returned to its traditional March date.
The relay started at 3pm on Saturday, and members from each team walked the track on the Jim Finimore Oval in Leichhardt for the next 18 hours.
It started with a walk of cancer survivors and carers, who took to the track amid the applause of surrounding teams.
Cancer Council Relay for Life co-ordinator Jason Potter said the day had been a great success.
"We've had some really great support this year," he said.
"We had to hold it in October last year because of the floods, but it's good to be back at the usual time.
"There are teams here from schools and unis as well as different groups and families."
There was more to the day than simply the walk. Bands and other entertainment played throughout the night.
Mr Potter said the gathering was an opportunity to recognise cancer survivors for the fight they had to go through to beat the disease.
"We've had over 100 cancer survivors and carers," he said.
"The youngest survivor this year was just four years old."
Mr Potter said he hoped next year's 10th anniversary relay would be the biggest and best. The Relay for Life has been held in Australia since 1999.