Getting to the heart of Valentine's Day
Gratitude, that's what it's all about, especially on Valentine's Day. Whether you are single or attached, it's helpful to be thankful for the little things, even though the grass is always greener on the other side. So, as you prepare to weather the sticky chocolates, extortionately priced roses and ickily sentimental songs, here are some little things to ponder.
10 REASONS TO BE GLAD YOU'RE ATTACHED
1. You don't need to be terrified by Tinder.
2. Say goodbye to first dates where you are looking for the fire exit.
3. You have someone to confide in who's not the dog/cat/budgie.
4. You never have to get naked in front of a stranger again, except maybe the proctologist.
5. There's someone to share the cooking, cleaning and chores. (OK, but women can dream right?)
6. If you go missing, your partner will probably notice ... eventually.
7. You score discounts on all sorts of things including hotel rooms, fun run entry and every other two-for-one deal.
8. There's someone to share the rent or the mortgage.
9. A TV/movie companion for those nights when you just feel like being a couch slob. Pass the popcorn would you?
10. Romance on tap, when the children aren't around, or you're both not too tired.
10 REASONS TO BE GLAD YOU'RE SINGLE
1. You can go on Tinder and have casual sex.
2. First dates - what a thrill! Who knows what could happen?
3. No one who expects you to listen to their most boring stuff again and again and, again.
4. Still a chance to see a stranger strip off.
5. One load of dishes, one load of washing.
6. You can go AWOL and no one will call the police.
7. You never have to share a hotel room, or your room service dinner or, argue about the pay movie.
8. You can live in a cabin, a campervan or a houseboat and decorate how you like.
9. Watch whatever you want on the TV.
10. You never have to shave your legs.
Helen Hawkes is a UNIFAM-qualified counsellor and life coach - helenhawkes.org