THE State Government is warning Queenslanders to get rid of "lunchbox" gas cookers after explosions put four people in hospital last week. 

Natural Resources and Mines Minister Anthony Lynham issued a warning about the inexpensive, popular cookers following two explosions in Far North Queensland.

A family was sent to hospital and a childcare worker escaped serious injury in two separate incidents. 

"Anyone who bought one of these butane gas lunchbox cookers manufactured before July 2015 should stop using it and dispose of it," Dr Lynham said.

"They are potentially lethal.

"Many models of these were recalled last year. I am now expanding that warning to any cooker manufactured before July 2015, when manufacturing standards changed.

"Check the compliance plate on the sides or underneath the cooker, and put your safety, and the safety of your family and friends first.

"Dispose of it, spend the $20-25 for a new one, and be safe rather than sorry."

Tens of thousands of these dangerous one-pot gas cookers were sold across Queensland under more than 60 names including U-Bute Traveller, Wild Country Handy Range Portable Camping Stove, Campmaster, Topstove and Bai Hui Portable Camping Stove.
Tens of thousands of these dangerous one-pot gas cookers were sold across Queensland under more than 60 names including U-Bute Traveller, Wild Country Handy Range Portable Camping Stove, Campmaster, Topstove and Bai Hui Portable Camping Stove. Contributed

The cookers use a butane gas canister that should eject when the gas canisters overheat.

Many models were recalled nationally in mid-2015 because the safety mechanism didn't work.

Dr Lynham said about 1,000,000 of the cookers were believed to be in circulation Australia-wide.

The latest warning is being circulated among caravan, camping and boating groups, and retailers, and a briefing will be held for members of parliament during next week's Parliamentary sittings.

Dr Lynham said the potential hazard was amplified because the cookers were so common.

"They are compact and inexpensive and they sit are in caravans, boats, garages and sheds across Queensland," he said.

Dr Lynham said Queenslanders should always be very careful using butane cookers and other portable gas appliances.

They should always be used outdoors, never in confined spaces such as tents, caravans, boats or cars where explosive gas and lethal carbon monoxide levels can build up.



Police urge Ipswich residents to dob in a dealer

premium_icon Police urge Ipswich residents to dob in a dealer

In 2017, more than $300,000 worth of drugs was seized in the region

Two more sacked Ipswich councillors sue for unfair dismissal

premium_icon Two more sacked Ipswich councillors sue for unfair dismissal

Ipswich councillors sue for money, unfair dismissal

All aboard WW1 steam train, 100 years after war ended

All aboard WW1 steam train, 100 years after war ended

A chance to ride in the same steam train World War I troops used

Local Partners