OPINION: Thinking back on the past
FLYING foxes were a problem in the Ipswich area in 1874.
A party of six men shot between 600 and 700 in one day.
Flying foxes were so plentiful in the Pine Mountain area in 1877 that shooting parties were arranged to try and rid the countryside of these pests.
Near the residence of Mr Ironmonger the flying foxes were seen in their hundreds.
On November 9, 1883 a party of Rosewood and Ipswich residents shot flying foxes in scrub not far from the residences of Messrs Hudson & Evans Rosewood.
Over 1000 of the creatures were slaughtered, but still thousands remained.
Probably one of the most esteemed residents of Ipswich was Mr Harry Evans who was respectfully termed "Father Evans" of Canning St North Ipswich.
A write-up in 1921 stated he had resided in Ipswich for 68 years and 55 of those years were given in service at the Railway Workshops. He was also a musician and a local preacher.
Mr Evans formerly of England was apprenticed to a master builder and after seven years received his articles of indenture.
In October 1867 he left England and came to Moreton Bay arriving here on February 16, 1858.
Three months later he came to Limestone (Ipswich) and was employed in the erection of a brick building being undertaken by contractors Messrs Geoff Bell carpenter & W Lennox brick layer.
Later he joined Mr William Hancock a notable brick-building contractor and assisted him in the erection of a large brick residence at Booval. "Booval House".
Mr Evans was generally occupied in building brick chimneys for the wooden residences going up all around Ipswich. Mr Evans remember the first big fire in the town known as "hangs fire" which destroyed almost the whole block in Brisbane St from Hanran's North Star Hotel (cnr Brisbane & Ellenborough Sts) to below "Givens Corner" at the junction of Brisbane and Nicholas Sts.
His list of buildings on which Mr Evans worked include a row of brick buildings (known as Walter Grieves "refuge row") near the old club House in South Street - a public house in old Laidley, but one of his major contracts was with erection of many sections of the North Ipswich Railway Workshops and eventually he worked on the railway itself.
Apart from his employment Mr Harry Evans had been an original member of No. 2 Battery of Artillery: a member of the Ipswich Rechabite Society, an original trustee of the Temperance Hall property in West St, an early member of the North Ipswich Boys State School committee; member of the Ellenborough St Methodist Church in which he was a local preacher for 47 years.
He also was a keen musician and was conductor of the earliest church orchestra which comprised Messrs George Nash Sen, violin; Harry Wyatt cornet; Jesse Stevens, cello. Because of his musical skills he was adjudicating items during the initial stages of the first Blackstone Eisteddfod.
To ensure additional safety in case of fire breaking out during any performance at the Ipswich School of Arts the municipal authorities arranged with the fire brigade that an officer and three local firemen would be in attendance. This was in January 1893.
In addition another safety measure was that immediately in front of the stage there was a water pipe with a 35ft hose attached.
By the opening of a small trap door, this was a once available and would have "water playing on the flames without the slightest loss of time".
What was said to be the largest cake ever made in Ipswich was on view in the window of Cribb & Foote Ltd cnr Brisbane & Bell Sts, on April 29, 1899.
The cake had 4 tiers! Stood 3ft 6ins high and weighted 116 lbs. Each side of the square base measured 1 ft. 7ins giving a girth of 6ft 4ins.
The second tier was 4 ft. in circumference. The 3rd tier 3ft 4 ins and the top tier 2ft 3ins round.
It was the production of three local caterers , Mr Whitehouse; L. Ham & F J Ireland.
The cake was made for the purpose of celebrating the 50th year of business for Cribb & Foote who also gave their employees a day's outing on May 3, 1899.
A valuable cow, the property of Mr Rodgers, Ipswich went mad in July 1902 and had to be destroyed.
When opened up its stomach was found to contain a large piece of mosquito net covered with white lead, oyster shells, small stones, six nails, pieces of wire off bottles and a few hairpins.
Potato chips were advertised in October 1903 as being "the latest Sydney rage to come to Ipswich.
At a meeting of the East Moreton Teachers Association on September 17, 1904, Mr J A Casey inspector of schools, gave an address on "The teaching of History in our State",
This was the first instance in Queensland of an inspector meeting teachers to discuss methods of imparting knowledge to children attending schools.