Floyd Mayweather’s career took another twist.
Floyd Mayweather’s career took another twist.

Mayweather madness is one giant mess

FLOYD Mayweather has backtracked on a bizarre comeback fight, saying he never agreed to an official bout with Japanese kickboxer and rising MMA star Tenshin Nasukawa.

Earlier this week the boxing legend held a press conference in Tokyo where the 41-year-old revealed he would fight Nasukawa on New Year's Eve as part of an event held by the Rizin Fighting Federation - a Japanese MMA promotion.

Mayweather said the "weight class and rules" would be finalised in the coming weeks, refusing to confirm whether the bout would be under boxing or MMA rules.

But now it seems "Money" may not be in the ring - or the cage - at all, saying on Instagram he was blindsided by the revelation after originally believing he had agreed to a small exhibition fight "purely for entertainment purposes".

"First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan," Mayweather wrote.

"Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the Rizin Fighting Federation. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of 'One Entertainment' was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee.

"This exhibition was previously arranged as a 'Special Bout' purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately.

"I want to sincerely apologise to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval.

"For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions."

Mayweather's revelation comes after Rizin CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara said in Tokyo the MMA promotion was thrilled to have convinced Mayweather to take part in the "history making event".

"First we had to convince Mr. Mayweather to come to the ring on the Rizin ring on December 31," he said. "As you know Mr. Mayweather is undefeated. But all his fights have been in the US. He has had a wish to fight outside the US.

"We're happy we've convinced him to come to Japan for this history making event. In the second phase, once we knew Mr. Mayweather would be in the Rizin ring on New Year's Eve, we thought of the appropriate opponent and there was only one: Tenshin."

Mayweather is undefeated across 50 fights and has never fought outside the US, making it a surprise he would consider travelling to Japan to come out of retirement.

He hasn't fought since beating UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing match in August last year.



Why CMC Rocks is the festival we want

premium_icon Why CMC Rocks is the festival we want

Moves must be made now to ensure future beyond 2022

Mum warns others after popular nappy 'burned' baby

premium_icon Mum warns others after popular nappy 'burned' baby

The Ipswich mother heard the ear-piercing screams of her daughter