Disaster appeal funds winding up
THE majority of Ipswich's flood victims will receive their State Government relief appeal payments by August under plans to wind up the fund.
Premier Anna Bligh yesterday announced the plan included a proposed cost-of-living payment for more than 30,000 flood and cyclone victims if sufficient funds were left in the fund after round three payments were completed.
So far about $100 million of the $265 million Premier's fund appeal has been paid out to flood and cyclone victims.
The Premier said the fund would be wound up in two stages, with the first stage including an immediate contents payment of up to $30,000 to those households who received a payment under round 2 of the appeal.
Further contents payments of up to $10,000 will also be made immediately to successful round 3 applicants.
If enough money is left in the fund after round 3 is settled the next stage of the winding up timeframe will include:
Cost of living payments made to about 30,000 flood and cyclone victims excluding those who have received payments under round 2 and round 3, the value of which will be announced if there is enough money left.
Any remaining balance in the fund will be allocated to the Building Services Authority to be used to rebuild dwellings for ‘special cases'– those who have been ineligible for payments but who are experiencing hardship.
Any additional monies coming into the fund after June 30 will be allocated to St Vincent de Paul, who are currently distributing $10 million from the fund.
“The distribution committee has worked hard to get this right,” Ms Bligh said in a statement.
“Devastation is not uniform and that is certainly true of these natural disasters.
“These disasters have affected some of the richest people in Queensland and some of the poorest.
“I am pleased that top up payments can be made to these people to help them replace a lifetime of possessions.”