WITH Jacaranda and formals just around the corner, I thought now was the time to talk about applying false eyelashes and with so many to choose from no wonder everyone is getting confused and overwhelmed.
I love false eyelashes because it makes the eyes the focal point of the face.
So if previous attempts to use fake lashes have made you look more like a drag queen than a doe-eyed beauty, the chances are that you have been using the wrong type of lash.
Modern fake lashes are finer, flimsier and much more like your natural lashes than the bulky, obvious fakes of times past.
They're also inexpensive, making fab lashes one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways of transforming your look.
So decide which type of lash is right for you - and then have some real fun with them.
Let's look at what's on offer.
Individual and clusters are for a more natural look than strips, creating a subtle, natural look - and if one falls off, no-one will guess it's fake.
Strips are great for dramatic lashes - but opt for sparse-looking strips if you don't want people to know you're faking it.
Now you can have coloured and even glitter and diamante, creating a glamorous, rather over the top look - ideal for exhibitionists and partygoers.
Here are some tips:
- Overuse glue, as it will not dry and can go into your eyes.
- Trim the false lash after you have applied it. You can cut your own lashes - this is strictly left to the professionals.
- Use lashes that are too heavy for your natural lashes to hold, as they drag your lash line.
- Apply lashes too far out on your lash line if you have rounded eyes as they will drag your lash line down.
- Curl your own lashes before applying falsies; if you attempt it afterwards, you can rip them off.
- Check the base of the lash; for example, if the lash (being a full lash) has a black line at its base, remember it will give you the look of eyeliner, which you may or may not want….
Another tip - most eyelashes are sold with complementary lash glue.
But I would recommend that you buy a tube of professional eyelash glue that is sold separately from a quality make-up store because these complementary glues don't adhere very well.
For a black liquid eyeliner or a black smoky eye shadow try a black eyelash glue as it will be undetectable, unlike the clear-drying glue which you might be able to see with black.
When volumising mascara just isn't enough, fake lashes can give you the feminine flutter you crave but remember like any make-up technique, it may take a few attempts to get fake lashes right.
I hope our tips help and in an instant your lashes will look lusher and your eyes will appear larger, brighter and prettier than ever.