Menu
News

Aussie travellers witness fire as Phuket resort is destroyed

Australian travellers are among those who have lost all they had with them after a fire at a resort in Patong, Phuket.
Australian travellers are among those who have lost all they had with them after a fire at a resort in Patong, Phuket. Candice Holznagel

A BOXING Day fire at a Thailand resort has left many tourists with nothing.

The blaze broke out at 4.30am in Patong, Phuket.

Gladstone resident Kathy Andrews, who is staying at a neighboring resort, awoke to the sound of loud explosions and smoke early Boxing Day morning.

Ms Andrews said she saw staff running around everywhere and Australian tourists standing around wearing nothing but towels.

"They have lost everything," she said. "I did get a lady some clothes."

The cause of the fire is suspected to be electrical, according to Ms Andrews.

"Most of the building is gone," she said.

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said no Australians were involved in the incident.

"We are aware of reports of a fire at a Phuket resort on December 26," the spokesperson said.

"Thai authorities have confirmed that no Australians were involved in the incident."

 

>>More National headlines

Australians survive Burma plane crash

Police investigate incident of truckie driving dangerously

Australian hostage being held in Philippines is alive

One year on, Matt Golinski's eyes on the future

Topics:  fire gladstone phuket resort thailand



Soccer and strikers dominate the era

SUCCESS STORY: The original Bush Rats football team in 1890.

"I couldn't help thinking of the many exciting contests I witnessed

Balancing expectations key to battling first day nerves

5-year-old Evie O'Sullivan of Brassall will be starting her first day of Prep class next week when school goes back.

Psychologist says regular talk about school in lead up essential

Mystery over ‘home birth’ death

She leaves behind six children, including a healthy newborn baby boy.

Mystery surrounds death of woman who opted for home birth

Local Partners