MOURNING: A man stands in front of the memorial outside the Le Carillon cafe in Paris where one of the attacks took place.
MOURNING: A man stands in front of the memorial outside the Le Carillon cafe in Paris where one of the attacks took place. AAP

Coast woman feared for her Poppi in Paris terror attacks

PANIC was something Kate Lindquist tried not to do when she heard her Poppi was in Paris on the night of the Islamic State terror attacks.

Ms Lindquist thought her 83-year-old Poppi, Ken Brown, was in Florence during the attacks.

But a phone call to her brother Dean, who lives with Mr Brown in Melbourne and had a copy of his travel itinerary, revealed her Poppi was in fact in Paris that night.

"That instant shock of finding out he was in Paris was definitely worrying," Ms Lindquist said.

"But then we thought the likelihood of him being in any of the locations where the attacks happened were very slim.

"It was more than likely he would have been in bed."

Ms Lindquist's fears were allayed when she received an email from Mr Brown saying that he was okay.

The six attacks, which have seen about 129 people killed and more than 350 people injured, occurred on Friday night in Paris, during the usual work week wind-down celebrations.

At least 87 people of the deceased were killed at a concert hall in a hostage situation.

Gunmen and bombers also attacked busy restaurants and bars and explosions were heard near a stadium hosting a friendly soccer match between France and Germany.

Although expecting delays in Mr Brown's return to Melbourne after French President Hollande declared a state of emergency, closing France's borders and declaring three days of national mourning, he will continue his journey as planned.

Ms Lindquist, of Buderim, said her thoughts were with the families of those who weren't so fortunate and did not have their loved ones return home.

"Also with the survivors, who have to live with that horrifying experience," she said.

"I think it's terrifying to be honest."

Seven attackers were killed around Paris, including six by their suicide belts.

Mr Hollande has said the attacks were organised from abroad by Islamic State with internal help.

Late yesterday, one of the attackers was identified as 29-year-old French national Ismaël Omar Mostefaï.

French newspaper Le Monde reported Mostefaï was identified by his fingertip, found after he detonated a suicide vest inside the Bataclan concert hall as police closed in.

A Syrian passport was also found by police at the scene inside the Bataclan that belonged to an asylum seeker who registered on a Greek island in October.

French police said the document was found "near the body of one of the attackers" in the investigation into the main attack.

An Egyptian passport was also found near the body of a suicide bomber who detonated his vest outside the Stade de France. Islamic State has issued a chilling warning following the attacks, saying France was "at the top of the list" of targets.

The online statement said the militants had attacked carefully selected targets in the "capital of adultery and vice".

The Bataclan concert hall, where heavy metal band The Eagles of Death Metal had been playing, was seen by IS as the place where "hundreds of apostates were attending an adulterous party".

"The stench of death will not leave their noses as long as they remain at the forefront of the Crusaders' campaign, dare to curse our prophet, boast of a war on Islam in France, and strike Muslims in the lands of the caliphate with warplanes that were of no use to them in the streets and rotten alleys of Paris," the statement read.

Sunshine Coast Alliance Francaise teacher Cecile Couper said although the statement was "chilling," she hoped people around the world would band together.

"I have seen many people on Facebook changing their profile picture to include the French flag, but I have been cautious to do so," she said.

"This is a world-wide problem, not just a problem of the French people.

"We all need to stand together to show our strength against the Islamic State and their terrorist attacks."

The Australian consulate emergency number is 1300 555 135.



Developer denies providing Pisasale prostitute

premium_icon Developer denies providing Pisasale prostitute

Developer allegedly arranged prostitute for Paul Pisasale.

Why teachers are leaving the private sector

premium_icon Why teachers are leaving the private sector

Union says there has been an “evident drift” toward public system.

Paying administrator 'cheaper' than 11 councillors: Minister

premium_icon Paying administrator 'cheaper' than 11 councillors: Minister

Stirling Hinchliffe has revealed the cost of an administrator

Local Partners